Just a question: has anyone ever used one of the Ott Lights (full color spectrum lamps) for their leather working, and how do you like it? I just picked up a $179 desktop Ott Light for $25 at Michaels- it was a display sample that they were getting rid of.

It seems to eliminate the glare & harsh shadows that prevented me from doing fine carving work at night. I'm just curious as to what others think of them. I know they're used heavily by those who do a lot of needlework, sewing & jewelry making, but I don't know any leatherworkers who've used them & I'd just like some opinions.

Thank you. russ

They're ok for color, but they really don't put out enough light to be of use as a lamp. You really need to flood the room with light in order to take advantage of it's color characteristics, and that can get expensive. There are less expensive options. I suspect the lamp you've got resolved the glare issue with a diffuser over the bulb. You could also do that with any lamp.

I suspect the lamp you've got resolved the glare issue with a diffuser over the bulb.

Actually, Dale, there is no diffuser. The bulb itself provides the soft, diffused light.

Well I use one and I agree pretty much with Dale - by itself, it does not produce enough light to suit me.

I'm not strictly a leather worker, I am also a jeweler and a horsehair braider (obviously) but I do use that lamp whenever I am working. However I found one I like better.

It's called a Daylight ultra slim magnifier lamp. Here's a link for one: Daylight Lamp but you can find them all over. I either work through it (looking through the magnifier) or I raise it up and work under it. I love it because I don't get shadows around my hand. It seems like I can never tell exactly where my tool is when I am doing basketweave due to a shadow, so I really like this lamp for that. This one gives off a LOT of light - when I turn it on at night we almost feel like we need sunglasses! It's great.

My work bench is in my garage and the overhead lighting does not cut it for carving at any time of day. I have a small halogen desk lamp I use when carving, to the front right of the work and pointed in at an angle. This helps me very much!

On 4/14/2008 at 0:33 PM, HorsehairBraider said:

Well I use one and I agree pretty much with Dale - by itself, it does not produce enough light to suit me.

I'm not strictly a leather worker, I am also a jeweler and a horsehair braider (obviously) but I do use that lamp whenever I am working. However I found one I like better.

It's called a Daylight ultra slim magnifier lamp. Here's a link for one: Daylight Lamp but you can find them all over. I either work through it (looking through the magnifier) or I raise it up and work under it. I love it because I don't get shadows around my hand. It seems like I can never tell exactly where my tool is when I am doing basketweave due to a shadow, so I really like this lamp for that. This one gives off a LOT of light - when I turn it on at night we almost feel like we need sunglasses! It's great.

Thank you for the post. I am thinking of ordering one. I have a pole on my stamping table, how far does the clip open?  I rather  use the pole that I have rather then use the one that comes with the lamp.

Jim

I have two desktop OTT lights on my bench, and they provide more than enough light to work. At 48 years old, my eyes are starting to need the bright light and I like them.  My only complaint is that they don't  stay where you put them anymore.  The heads sag a little, but not so much that I can't use them.

Immiketoo, can you post a pic of the exact light you have? I've been stopping lights from drifting for over 43 years, in dental offices. I might have some suggestions for you.

Jeff