Seller tells me it is a walking foot machine and can sew "thick" leather. Dammed if I know what thick is to him. He also said it was just serviced and he is selling it for $300.

2 questions:

1. Is it a fair price?

2. Any idea how thick it can sew leather?

Seller tells me it is a walking foot machine and can sew "thick" leather. Dammed if I know what thick is to him. He also said it was just serviced and he is selling it for $300.

2 questions:

1. Is it a fair price?

As far as I have seen the Consew 220 is a single flat foot, straight stitch garment machine. It is an old model, lacking reverse. It may sew 1/4" of soft leather, like chap or vest leather, if you install a roller foot, or teflon foot. It is most likely limited to using #69 thread maximum. You would probably have to change the motor pulley to a 2" diameter to be able to sew on leather.

A Consew 220 sells for about $200 to $250 nowadays.

2 questions:

1. Is it a fair price?

Hey TCC, the Consew 220 is a garment machine, not a walking foot machine. You can buy em' by the dozen in downtown L.A. for $300.00 or less. Steve

Edited by Cobra Steve

Hey TCC, the Consew 220 is a garment machine, not a walking foot machine. You can buy em' by the dozen in downtown L.A. for $300.00 or less. Steve

Thank you both I will give it a pass, 1/4" is thick enough but not sure all the leather will be "soft leather"

Thank you both I will give it a pass, 1/4" is thick enough but not sure all the leather will be "soft leather"

Now that we have gotten that machine out of the way, might I suggest that a Consew 206RB, or similar, will fit your requirements?

If you can even consider a new machine, Cobra Steve, located in California, sells a model 18 flatbed walking foot machine that will sew an honest 3/8" of real leather. It is a triple feed machine, and built tough. They come with servo motors that are easy to control at slow or high speeds.

Right, I've thrown away/need to throw away machines that are newer than that one, some in good working order. I just can do anyting with them.

Now that we have gotten that machine out of the way, might I suggest that a Consew 206RB, or similar, will fit your requirements?

If you can even consider a new machine, Cobra Steve, located in California, sells a model 18 flatbed walking foot machine that will sew an honest 3/8" of real leather. It is a triple feed machine, and built tough. They come with servo motors that are easy to control at slow or high speeds.

I already talked to Cobra Steve his shop is righ down the street from me. Sound like he has some great machines but I can not justify the expence of a new machine. I simply would not use it enough to make money.

I already talked to Cobra Steve his shop is righ down the street from me. Sound like he has some great machines but I can not justify the expence of a new machine. I simply would not use it enough to make money.

Did you ask him if he has any trade-ins or rebuilt machines?

Did you ask him if he has any trade-ins or rebuilt machines?

Did not think to ask because he knew i was looking for a used machine. He took my number and said he would call if he runs into anything that would do what I need and is in a price range I can live with.

Hey Wiz,

I'm just starting out sewing leather - mostly bags and backpacks. I was wondering what you thought of this item, the SEWSTRONG 607 Leather Portable Upholster walking foot industrial sewing machine. I found one on ebay and I liked the price, but thought that I would see what you had to say on the matter.

Do you think this machine would work for what I'm looking to do with it?

Thanks for all you help!

Hey Wiz,

I'm just starting out sewing leather - mostly bags and backpacks. I was wondering what you thought of this item, the SEWSTRONG 607 Leather Portable Upholster walking foot industrial sewing machine. I found one on ebay and I liked the price, but thought that I would see what you had to say on the matter.

Do you think this machine would work for what I'm looking to do with it?

Thanks for all you help!

That (RE-607) is a portable dual feed walking foot machine, with a driven outer presser foot and bottom feed dog, both with teeth. It's identical to the Rex RX-607 and Alphasew, Thompson, etc. It is fine for use on small upholstery and sail repair jobs, using outdoor canvas, Sunbrella and Naugahyde or similar vinyls.Not so good on leather, unless it is very thin and soft. Capacity is around 1/4 inch of compressed soft material. It will handle thread sizes up to #92, using a #20 needle, but it will last longer using #69 thread and a #18 needle. The motor is rated at 1/10th horsepower, which is about 1/5 to 1/8 the average power used in real walking foot machines (1/2 to 3/4 HP).

That said, if you have any plans to sew medium or hard leather, or any stack exceeding 1/4 inch, or with thread sizes 138 or larger, this is not the machine you want. It will bend the presser foot drive lever and seize shafts in their cheap bearings. These are Chinese clones of other clones of earlier clones of the Thompson portable. The best of the bunch is the current models from Sailrite, as they have beefed up moving parts and connecting rods and better bearings.

I made the mistake of buying a machine like this off eBay. It arrived with the main shaft seized from handling by the carriers, although the box had no external damage. The drive levers could be bent with your hands. I was lucky enough to get a partial refund after paying to ship it back.