Sign in to follow this  
harnessman

Sharpening Landis 30 Blade

Hi All

Does anyone out there know what angle the blade of a Landis 30 is supposed to be sharpened at? I just picked one up with two blades, both dull, and there is quite a difference in the angle on the two blades. I also got an original book with it and it mentions that they are hollow ground, both of mine appear flat when checked with a good straight edge (machinest square) so does anyone have any insight as to the curve of the hollow grind? I have a local tool maker who can sharpen them but he, and I, would like to know what angle to sharpen them at. I did check with Landis International and while they sell the machines they disclaim any knowledge of how to grind the blades, which seems rather odd.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

The blade in mine is definitely hollow ground, and on an almighty big wheel, too. It needs a good stropping and polishing, for which I need to buy a set of buffs for the bench grinder.

I know where that one teensie chip on one side is and I just ignore it and use the other side of the machine!

Kate

Hi,

I have the very same question about grind angle, did you get an answer? 

Thanks

John (UK)