Mollard

Leather Finishing

I posted this in another section, but got no reply, figured I might have better luck here as I REALLY need some help here.

OK, I have been researching leather for awhile now. I have been building things, studying how things are fabricated, all kinds of stuff. I am stuck on leather finishing. Also with maintenance. I have been reading all kinds of different stuff on the subject, but can not seem to find a surefire way to make my leather tough and durable. I need my projects to withstand the elements for years. What maintenance steps are taken after finishing? After all the reading I have done, I still have no idea where to start. When during the fabrication process do I apply a finish? Where do dyes fit into all of this?

What are your steps for finishing leather projects? What measures do you take to ensure it stays nice for years to come?

Mollard, I'm glad you decided to repost your question. Since no one has chimed in yet, I'll attempt an answer.

First, it's important to keep in mind that leather is a natural material that will break down over time -- regardless of how well you protect and take care of it. There are certainly many products on the market that can extend the life of leather, but you'll find there's no definitive "best product" out there. I personally use Satin Shene, an acrylic topcoat, on my items mainly because it plays well with Eco-Flo dyes and provides a measure of water resistance. There are others who will swear by other products, like Montana Pitch Blend, Picard's, etc.

I'd very highly recommend purchasing small quantities of each and trying them out to see which one works best for you. You can apply them to leather samples, and then expose them to the elements, etc. I know that many here on this forum rarely build items for themselves, but I believe it's good to carry and use the stuff you make on a daily basis. That way, you can see first-hand how it functions and wears over time.

I know this isn't the answer you were looking for, but I hope you're able to use this information to help make an educated decision on leather finishes.

Regards, -Alex

Not to be a smart a$#...But the armed forces have gone to Nylon, why, because it will

last longer than Leather. One can take all the care they want to but Leather items

will weare out or deteroiate..........

Saw a McClellan saddle at the Museum of the Horse Soldier http://www.horsesoldiermuseum.com/ that is over 100 years old and was recently found in it's original crate, never oiled and it looked like it had been made yesterday.

Not to be a smart a$#...But the armed forces have gone to Nylon, why, because it will

last longer than Leather. One can take all the care they want to but Leather items

will weare out or deteroiate..........

Yeah for the short term. I think one of the biggest things with the military switching over is cost of the material and ease of construction. Not to mention the politics and money involved with contracts like that. From personal experience dont base somethings usefulness bases solely on that the military uses it. I agree nylon creations have advantages in some areas.

Mollard, I might add that different products may require different finishes. For example, Satin Shene works fine for me since I build belts and wallets that aren't exposed too much to the elements. However, if I were building outdoor-type gear, I might choose a different finish.

Once you decide what you're focusing on -- whether it's motorcycle seats or messenger bags -- find someone on this forum that builds that type of item. Ask him/her what they use to condition and finish their pieces. Odds are that an experienced leatherworker who creates the same type of items you want to build will have time-proven preferences regarding leather finishing.

Good luck! wave.gif

I posted this in another section, but got no reply, figured I might have better luck here as I REALLY need some help here.

OK, I have been researching leather for awhile now. I have been building things, studying how things are fabricated, all kinds of stuff. I am stuck on leather finishing. Also with maintenance. I have been reading all kinds of different stuff on the subject, but can not seem to find a surefire way to make my leather tough and durable. I need my projects to withstand the elements for years. What maintenance steps are taken after finishing? After all the reading I have done, I still have no idea where to start. When during the fabrication process do I apply a finish? Where do dyes fit into all of this?

What are your steps for finishing leather projects? What measures do you take to ensure it stays nice for years to come?

Mollard,

It is hard to give you advice without having any idea what the item will be used for, are you trying to protect against water, sun, etc. Please keep in mind that maybe what you should be concentrating on what kind of tanning would be best for your project. For instance I make CV Boots out of different leather than saddle bags. Hope this helps a little