Charke

Larp Cthulu Style Mask/helm

This mask came in a flash of insight when I was playing with some tools and I spent every spare moment after working on it or thinking about it. I wanted to create the texture you see in the finished mask. My LARP system manager had asked me for a Cthulu type mask so I made the mask with tentacles. It is 8oz leather, water hardened and dyed a tan color. Not having any antiquing, I used shoe polish to add some depth. I like working with the heavier leather and the 8oz will give it better survival, especially considering the tentacles.

The pinkish brain on top was a solution to the odd size of the mask. It really was made from scraps (large scaps) so I had not planned everything out and was left with this big hole in the top. I was going to stitch something on but the brain came to mind. It's just white/pink dyed leather, scrunched up and water hardened. Now, let me tell you, white leather dye is some nasty stuff. When it gets all mixed with other dye and water and wax, well, yuck. I might need a respirator to be around that stuff again.

The helmet is two basically rectangular peices laced together. To adjust it, I just loosen or tighten the lace. The "brain" is just friction fit into the top with a foam sponge pad underneath it. I wanted the wearer the option of being able to yank out the brain bit during LARP. I did a lot of work on the eyes to make sure visibility is good in the mask. A monster that can't see just isn't that frightening. The tentacles are hardened so that the outer two go down the back of the wearer to give it a 3D effect for all the viewers.

Mark Charke

Cmask6.jpg

Cmask5.jpg

Cmask4.jpg

Cmask3.jpg

Cmask2.jpg

Cmask1.jpg

post-13813-12709448628_thumb.jpg

post-13813-127094487111_thumb.jpg

post-13813-127094487957_thumb.jpg

post-13813-127094488862_thumb.jpg

post-13813-12709449002_thumb.jpg

post-13813-127094512705_thumb.jpg

Very interesting. Cool texture, and the brain? Well, the brain makes it.

LOL Reminds me a little of Treebeard the Ent. That's a very interesting texture you got from that narrow shader.

Kate