Go2Tex

Taking The "slick" Out Of A Slick Seat Western Saddle

Riding lessons!rofl.gif Sorry Brent, I couldn't help myself!!!

This is the real answer but one should also check the shape of the seat . Does it have a flat spot for the pelvis or is the low point of the seat way back near the cantle? What does the fender pattern look like? Was it designed to place the legs forward?

Martha Jose used to sell Velcroe you could put on the seat and on your pants (really I'm not kidding).

David Genadek

Lederbalsam is a leather conditioner and shouldn't add stickiness. If it does, there's probably something wrong with it. When you condition an English saddle with a product such as Lederbalsam and then ride in it, you'll notice a wee bit of grab on your pants for the first ride while it's fresh (particularly if you ride in full-seat leather breeches) but once it's soaked in, the stickiness is gone. And you wouldn't want to condition the saddle every time you ride or you'd break down the leather prematurely.

I know a young dressage rider who uses the Sit-Tide Creme and she says it doesn't wreck the leather but it does help glue her butt to the saddle.

I've occasionally been tempted to install a seat belt on my own saddle. I'm sure it would be way cheaper than the riding lessons I pay for over and over again. Slipping and sliding isn't my personal problem - it's staying on my Appy when he decides he's had enough and gets to rodeoing. (Those days are behind him now. For sure.)

Lederbalsam is a leather conditioner and shouldn't add stickiness. If it does, there's probably something wrong with it. When you condition an English saddle with a product such as Lederbalsam and then ride in it, you'll notice a wee bit of grab on your pants for the first ride while it's fresh (particularly if you ride in full-seat leather breeches) but once it's soaked in, the stickiness is gone. And you wouldn't want to condition the saddle every time you ride or you'd break down the leather prematurely.

I know a young dressage rider who uses the Sit-Tide Creme and she says it doesn't wreck the leather but it does help glue her butt to the saddle.

I've occasionally been tempted to install a seat belt on my own saddle. I'm sure it would be way cheaper than the riding lessons I pay for over and over again. Slipping and sliding isn't my personal problem - it's staying on my Appy when he decides he's had enough and gets to rodeoing. (Those days are behind him now. For sure.)

It was explained to me many years ago about Appy's. The reason why the indians (Native Americans) were such fierce fighters in battle was because they rode Appaloosa horses. After riding and dealing with an Appy for a few miles on your way to battle, you arrived quite seriously ready to kill something!

Never actually tried the Ledebalsam myself, just remembered something along the 'tackiness' lines being mentioned. I just got a pony a few weeks ago and while looking for a 4 1/4" snaffle bit I found Saddle-Tite under 'Spooking Solutions' on justforponies.com it's 9$ for a stick of it. They also had those grab straps for english saddles, maybe he could use a nightlatch until he gets his seat figured out?

Why don't you talk him into your making him a nice pair of roughout chaps? Those will give him some grip.

I must admit I havn't read all of this thread . But the very simple cure for this is just a bit of rosin like the rodeo riders use on the glove for bareback or bull riding rubedv on the seat. I've used it and it works great.

Do NOT put on to much at first or you can get blisters since your chaps won't slip AT ALL. only needs to be put on about once a year.

I must admit I havn't read all of this thread . But the very simple cure for this is just a bit of rosin like the rodeo riders use on the glove for bareback or bull riding rubedv on the seat. I've used it and it works great.

Do NOT put on to much at first or you can get blisters since your chaps won't slip AT ALL. only needs to be put on about once a year.

Yep, rosin would seem to be the best answer..... but I came up with this one instead:

s37-04.jpg

:yes: LOL, that is the best idea yet!

That's the best answer so far! Nice job!

Bobby

Good solution. Bet it cost more then rosin!! :P

But don't through away a good saddle that can be fixed with a bit of rosin.

Yep, rosin would seem to be the best answer..... but I came up with this one instead:

s37-04.jpg

Good looking saddle!!

Rough out seats make sense to me.

Is this one fresh off your bench?

Good looking saddle!!

Rough out seats make sense to me.

Is this one fresh off your bench?

Yup. Fresh as a newborn baby.

Good lookin' rig Brent. JW

Thanks.