Sign in to follow this  
Felix Corvus

Sca Fencing Helm

This is my 3rd leather SCA fencing helm

kabuto.JPG

post-13279-127204081396_thumb.jpg

HI Felix;;

Great job man and looks like a lot of work;; WELL DONE; I have looked several times at the neck armor, shouldn't the top over lap the lower strip to ward off a downword blow or is it for upward fencing strikes????any way it looks GREAT....

..Doc..

Edited by terrahyd

nicely done dude,

are you willing to share your pattern?

Cheers

Gunter

I don't know anything about fencing helmets but that looks fantastic.

Felix, nice helmet. I make leather spangenhelms, so I know how much work you put into figuring out how all those complex shapes go together. I really like the nice shape of the dome. Is that held together at the top with a metal panel?

I'm not very knowledgeable about Japanese helmets, but wouldn't that aventail be laced so it could telescope up and down as the head moves?

Did you cuir bouilli the parts? Looks like it.

I'll try to attach a picture of one of my helmets. Nice to find someone who does a similar thing.

DougIMG_1533.JPG

This is my 3rd leather SCA fencing helm

kabuto.JPG

post-5329-127259934173_thumb.jpg

HI Felix;;

Great job man and looks like a lot of work;; WELL DONE; I have looked several times at the neck armor, shouldn't the top over lap the lower strip to ward off a downword blow or is it for upward fencing strikes????any way it looks GREAT....

..Doc..

Thanks for the compliment. The neck armor(shikoro) was based on photo's of this style helmet. In retrospect, I think I should have constructed the shikoro differently. The bottom lame should hang lower and fan out more.

Thanks again, Corvus

nicely done dude,

are you willing to share your pattern?

Cheers

Gunter

I tend to make and use up the patterns as I go. I do have the main dome pieces still but they're to big to scan.

Felix, nice helmet. I make leather spangenhelms, so I know how much work you put into figuring out how all those complex shapes go together. I really like the nice shape of the dome. Is that held together at the top with a metal panel?

I'm not very knowledgeable about Japanese helmets, but wouldn't that aventail be laced so it could telescope up and down as the head moves?

Did you cuir bouilli the parts? Looks like it.

I'll try to attach a picture of one of my helmets. Nice to find someone who does a similar thing.

DougIMG_1533.JPG

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I used an ammonia hardening technique I learned from the local tandy guy. 1 part *NON SUDDZING*ammonia to 6 parts warm water. the longer/more times you soak the harder (and more brittle) it gets. Very little shrinkage and doesn't get soft in warm weather.

Two 2 piece domes, laminated, one inside the other, no structural metal.

The aventail, shikoro in Japanese, is tied very tight in the pictures, I left the laces long so the owner could adjust it to his preferences.

Looked at your website. Very nice work, you have inspired me Sir, thank you. Here's a link to mine, such as it is~ http://corviileather.uphero.com/

I play mostly in the SCA, but intend on looking into the local RF here in CO.

I think the SCA may be a viable market for you. I've been to a few good sized events in your area. http://www.sca.org/

Thanks again