UKRay

Using A Dremel For Leatherwork

I have heard a lot about Dremel tools (the new Dremel 4000 looks amazing) and it seems that a lot of people are now using them for their leatherwork but we don't seem to have had a thread about what they can be used for and how to get the best out of them (I could be wrong here!).

I'm always keen to hear what other people do and how they solve problems; so how do you use your Dremel and what tips would you have for a newbie?

Ray

well I found the most used part of my dremel look alike is the "flex shaft"

this lets the weight of the tool somewhere else and all you are holding is a pencil like thing to work with - more control.

I do not like the collet thing -- my look alike has a chuck like a drill.

and I use up to size 80 drill bits. (Or should that be down? they are really tiny things)

Ray about the only thing I use a dremel for right now is cleaning up edges before I start my edging process. I use the little drum sander that goes on them and will work it along the edges to sand then nice and flat. Then I go about doing the edge work. Helps to get a good smooth base to start working with.

I was curious about this too, especially in regards to sanding, burnishing edges or polishing.

I bought one, and use it quite a bit for leatherworking. I use the sanding drum especially on pieces sewn together to even up the edges. I also use one of the polishing wheels with jewler's rouge to touch up my blades to keep them sharp, and to polish my smooth faced tools. It has also come in handy to cut rivets out of things to be covered with leather, and grind metal smooth if an old piece of hardware needs to be modified.

I did make a hardwood dowel burnishing piece for edging. This was what I originally bought the dremmel for. I can get a better edge with glycerine, saddlesoap, and canvas though. I will still use this piece if there is a really rough edge I can't sand down any further, and then go over it with the canvas. It also will make melting bee's wax into an edge easier, but I still finish with the canvas.

I am looking forward to hearing what else people are using dremels for.

I use mine for sanding the edges as well and I also use it for burnishing and punching holes. I just chuck an awl point in it and use it for making stitching holes being careful not to go too deep. I know, I know, I am a cheater.

The Dremel tool does seem to lend itself to burnishing. Getting inside curves is a hassle sometimes and I thought this tool looked like a great solution. Would it be possible to make a small canvas covered polishing drum to slick these hard to reach places? Something like the drum on the Weaver burnishing machine.

I was also interested in other ways it might be used. I believe there is a drill stand for the thing that would make it more suitable for drilling nice clean holes in multiple thickness of leather. Has anyone used one of those? How did it work?

The sanding potential for intricate work is amazing. I can imagine using it to clean up inside filigree work.

Has anyone developed any other gadgets for their Dremel that are specific to leatherworking?

Is there a better model than any other?

Ray

YES YOU COULD MAKE YOURSELF SOME CANVAS COVERED DRUMS.... BUT FOR ME I WOULD USE A PIECE OF ROUND HARDWOOD.

The Dremel tool does seem to lend itself to burnishing. Getting inside curves is a hassle sometimes and I thought this tool looked like a great solution. Would it be possible to make a small canvas covered polishing drum to slick these hard to reach places? Something like the drum on the Weaver burnishing machine.

I was also interested in other ways it might be used. I believe there is a drill stand for the thing that would make it more suitable for drilling nice clean holes in multiple thickness of leather. Has anyone used one of those? How did it work?

The sanding potential for intricate work is amazing. I can imagine using it to clean up inside filigree work.

Has anyone developed any other gadgets for their Dremel that are specific to leatherworking?

Is there a better model than any other?

Ray

I have a dremel 300 series with a dremel stand, and it works very well. It works just like a drill press. It cost me about 50 dollars for the stand, and is well worth it.

I bought one, and use it quite a bit for leatherworking. I use the sanding drum especially on pieces sewn together to even up the edges. I also use one of the polishing wheels with jewler's rouge to touch up my blades to keep them sharp, and to polish my smooth faced tools. It has also come in handy to cut rivets out of things to be covered with leather, and grind metal smooth if an old piece of hardware needs to be modified.

I do all of these things as well. I also use mine for grinding down the flesh side of leather that's too thick to attach some conchos.

there is a bit that looks like a littele gear and is used for shaving wood. i have used this bit, flat side to the leather, to skive out some leather to set in a chicago screw if you don't have a long enough screw. I have also ground down some common nails for drilling holes for sewing.

frank