Sign in to follow this  
alberta

How To Start 4 Strain Round Braid On A Key Ring

new to braiding , can anyone help with how to start a 4 strain round braid (no core) on a key ring , got the braid down pat but can't get of to a nice clean start

Hi Alberta! I'm new to this braiding thing myself but David Morgan's book "Braiding Fine Leather" has got me sorted out on the right path, for a beginner at least. Two days ago I made a four strand round braid key lanyard which comes as one of this book's projects. Check it out in the following thread:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=23928

Is this the type of attachment to the split ring you had in mind?

When I get back home tomorrow I'll be starting a new one for practice sake. If no one's answered this question I can take some pictures of the beginning, getting the strands sorted into braiding position if you'd like.

There are a lot of ways to do it:

You can find the middle of the strands and do a 4 plait flat braid for a few pulls then switch to a round braid.

Or you could have a bit of a yoke in the middle with two strands coming off each end. Then just start the 4 plait braid.

Or you just just put the middle of two strands through the key ring and start braiding.

Each way will give you a slightly different look where the key ring goes through the braid.

I agree that David Morgan's book Braiding Fine Leather is a great resource...and it's not too much money, something like $14 at amazon.

Louie

Click for larger pictures.

A: Lark's head formed through split ring/whatever attachment. The laces are organized on top of eachother as in the picture. Also note which side of the lark's head knot the picture is facing. The top/center strands are crossed, right over left.

th_01.jpg

B: The right free strand, closest to the split ring, is brought under the two center laces moving to the left, then up between the two left laces and over the left-center lace and back to the right.

th_02.jpg

C: The left free strand closes to the split ring is brought under the two center laces, moving to the right, up between the two right laces and over the right-center lace and back to the left.

th_03.jpg

D: Weave continues in the 4-strand round braid pattern.

th_04.jpg

I hope this helps rather than hinder!

Also note that you want the grain side of the laces facing you during the braiding process, so you're going to want to set this up between step B , C and D. This loose braid is exaggerated for clarity.

Edited by DSJackson

thank you for the help it is much appreciated