Sign in to follow this  
GrampaJoel

3/4" Thinck Leather?

I saw a set of reins the other day, that were at least 3/4" thick and about 8' long and they were very supple. They looked to be made from one piece and not laminated. They weren't colored and very little (other than a good job of edging but not burnished) was done to the leather. That I could make out.

They were new and un-used and I was able to get my hands on them, so I got a real good look at them.

my question..

Can anyone tell me about this type of leather?

Is this a normal weight for rein leather? I've never seen any this thick. where would a person find such nice leather?

Thanks

Joel

I saw a set of reins the other day, that were at least 3/4" thick and about 8' long and they were very supple. They looked to be made from one piece and not laminated. They weren't colored and very little (other than a good job of edging but not burnished) was done to the leather. That I could make out.

They were new and un-used and I was able to get my hands on them, so I got a real good look at them.

my question..

Can anyone tell me about this type of leather?

Is this a normal weight for rein leather? I've never seen any this thick. where would a person find such nice leather?

Thanks

Joel

That has to be the thickest Leather i have ever heard of.

and you are sure it was not glued together?

Might be Herman Oak Old World Harness leather. I don't think you can order 48 ounce but if you order 12+ one end of it (neck?) will be a lot heavier, easily 1/2" maybe up to 3/4.

I would not want reins that were that heavy for their full length but having a foot or two of extra heavy at the bitter end works for me.

Dan

Edited by dbusarow

Sorry, I was wrong.yeah.gif

that ok......

did you read the 1/8 as 1/4 :cheers::dunno:

Hello - Some years ago a friend and I went "halves" in a side of skirting leather to make reins, and the hide we got was at least 5/8th thick at the neck end (I've got several sets of reins from it still).

I don't exactly recall how we ordered it now but I think it was an "unthicknessed" hide. I do remenber that there was a lot of work getting it thin enough at the working part without "having disasters" and cutting to deep.

Down here in NZ thats not all that much use but I'm sure if you ask a few suppliers you'll get what you need.

Just be aware that although you get quite a few sets of reins from a side, they work out quite expensive for the really good ones close to the back.

Cheers

Foster

My favorites are less than 1/8" thick, 1" wide x 7' long. They are made of good supple leather and are very comfortable to hold. Someone had coiled them and stored them in a leaky shed. One could have used them for a hockey puck. A good bath with a few drops of bleach got them to uncoil and three saddle soapings with vinegar water brought them back to good useable condition. Ten years later and a fewannual soapings they are still going strong. "Ain't nobody borrows these".