JohnnyTremendous

Getting Smell Out Of Vinegarooned Leather?

I've been experimenting with coloring my leather with vinegaroon and love the results other than the bloody awful smell. I'm submersing my hide for a couple seconds, letting it sit for a minute, and then soaking in baking soda solution for a few minutes and then submersing in plain water for a few minutes after that. The color comes out nice but the leather smells terrible! Am I missing a step, or can any of you recommend something that will mellow the stench?

Edited by JohnnyTremendous

The smell will go away, it just takes a little time. The smell is the result of the vinegar, and since vinegar has a VOC rating, it'll evaporate. As your brew ages, the smell will become less too. Let it set in a fairly well ventilated place. My brew is old enough that there really is no smell left.

Other than neutralizing with the baking soda, there's not much you can do but wait.

Don't forget to oil it.

I think Chuck gave the advice but I picked up on using the apple cider vinegar, gets the same results but it doesnt seem to be as strong.

Another thing is also the amount of steel used in the vinegar, I think if you dont use enough it leaves a stronger smelling stuff. I believe also letting it air out for a day after you do your work before sealing it will get rid of some of the smell, my projects usually once I get around to sealing them dont smell much and after I seal and finish them I cant smell them at all unless they get really wet.

Also on the baking soda I think its suppose to be just a pretty quick rinse, like 15 seconds or so. From what I remember the soda will cause the ph of the leather to be too basic. There was a pretty cool discussion about this in one of the vinegaroon threads.

Is vinegaroon hard to make? Sound pretty cool. Are there any examples on the site I could look at?

Thx :D

Ellen

Is vinegaroon hard to make? Sound pretty cool. Are there any examples on the site I could look at?

Thx :D

Ellen

Thanks for the tips folks. I appreciate it.

Vinegaroon is super easy to make. Read all about it here.

There are a few guys posting photos of vinegarooned pieces here on the site. Search vinegaroon and you'll run into some stuff.

Edited by JohnnyTremendous

Thanks for the tips folks. I appreciate it.

Vinegaroon is super easy to make. Read all about it here.

There are a few guys posting photos of vinegarooned pieces here on the site. Search vinegaroon and you'll run into some stuff.

Thx!