Sign in to follow this  
Swift Nick

Advice About Finishing?

Hi, new guy here. I don't have any experience with leather working, so I'm in unfamiliar territory. I was hoping I could get some advice here.

Someone gave me a set of saddle bags. I was thinking about adapting them for use on my bike. The surface is not finished, besides being stained brown. I think it's called 'rough out'? I was wondering if it's possible to smooth out the finish somewhat. Not real slick, but a little smoother than it is now so it doesn't look so raw. Is this possible? How would I go about it? The yoke is smoother than the bags, and I think it would be good enough if I could get the bags that smooth as well. Any help is appreciated. Here are some pictures...

IMG_5356.jpg

IMG_5354.jpg

IMG_5355.jpg

Edited by Swift Nick

You can try some generous application of saddle soap and a lot of elbow grease to try and smooth it out. Once that is done, apply some sort of sealer- Pecard's, Sno-seal, Resolene, Mop-n-glo.......something that will be very water resistant.

If you've got a place that you can flatten out parts of it- an ironing board comes to mind because you can place the bag over the pointed end- you might even try shaving or sanding it a little to pull off the bigger "fuzzies".

Once that is done, apply some sort of sealer- Pecard's, Sno-seal, Resolene, Mop-n-glo.......something that will be very water resistant.

Thank you for this. I was afraid I had ruined my ancient bicycle saddle with the application of neatsfoot oil.. The finished side became unfinished almost immediately, and the oil ruined every pair of shorts I own. One good wiping of the surface with a terrycloth rag and acetone, then a coat of Mop N Glo- the saddle looks great, and feels like it should. Hopefully it will wear in well, I had not thought to seal it with such a product. Many thanks indeed! ;)