snapmyfengerleatherwork

Styles Of Stamping Tools

Could someone inform me which tool maker's stamping tools are best suited for the different styles of stamping, i.e. floral, geometric, sheridian, figure carving, etc.

Al

Al,

I can answer some of the question that you are asking. I primarily carve in the sheridan style and do some geometric stamping. The toolmakers that are of note in the Sheridan style would be Barry King and Gomph Hackbarth (Lonnie Height). Robert Beard does make some Sheridan tools but not as many as the afore mentioned. Other tool makers of note for new tools would be Gore tools and Chuck Smith. I personally use Barry King tools and for the money you can't beat them. They average about half of the price of Hackbarth tools and create excellent impressions. His geometric stamps are also very nice. Sorry I couldn't be of much help, but told you what I could. Have a great day.

Barry

Al,

I can answer some of the question that you are asking. I primarily carve in the sheridan style and do some geometric stamping. The toolmakers that are of note in the Sheridan style would be Barry King and Gomph Hackbarth (Lonnie Height). Robert Beard does make some Sheridan tools but not as many as the afore mentioned. Other tool makers of note for new tools would be Gore tools and Chuck Smith. I personally use Barry King tools and for the money you can't beat them. They average about half of the price of Hackbarth tools and create excellent impressions. His geometric stamps are also very nice. Sorry I couldn't be of much help, but told you what I could. Have a great day.

Barry

Barry,

Thanks! This helps alot. I trying to upgrade from Craftool. I have purchased a few BK tools & agree with your assessment f them. I get the impression from Mr. Beard's website that his emphasis maybe toward figure carving. I am concentrating on the old floral design maybe Al Stohlman style.

Thanks again,

AL

Edited by snapmyfengerleatherwork

Barry,

Thanks! This helps alot. I trying to upgrade from Craftool. I have purchased a few BK tools & agree with your assessment f them. I get the impression from Mr. Beard's website that his emphasis maybe toward figure carving. I am concentrating on the old floral design maybe Al Stohlman style.

Thanks again,

AL

The above mentioned tool makers are the main Sheridan tool people. Bob Beard specializes in the figure carving tools, but he also has a line of geometric (basket weave) that people rave about. The only problem with his line of tools is the price, which is rather on the steep side; but he is about a year behind on his work. But ..... the tools are well worth the wait and the price. I've been lucky and he just happened to have what I am looking for when ever I see him at the different shows that I go to.

I'm not really sure about any other maker as my work is usually figure carving and Sheridan. I'm sure there are other tool makers out there that are worth buying tools from.

The above mentioned tool makers are the main Sheridan tool people. Bob Beard specializes in the figure carving tools, but he also has a line of geometric (basket weave) that people rave about. The only problem with his line of tools is the price, which is rather on the steep side; but he is about a year behind on his work. But ..... the tools are well worth the wait and the price. I've been lucky and he just happened to have what I am looking for when ever I see him at the different shows that I go to.

I'm not really sure about any other maker as my work is usually figure carving and Sheridan. I'm sure there are other tool makers out there that are worth buying tools from.

Thanks! You comfirmed my understanding about Mr. Beard.