skyblast

That Super Shiny Finish?

So for the past two years I've been making leather gun holsters as a side business. My holsters are pretty good but I can't seem to figure out how to get that super glossy shinny finish?

Is it something that is sprayed on or is it something that the holster is dipped in or maybe even something that is brushed on?

Right now I'm using Angel's Satin Acrylic Finsher...it works pretty well but it's nothing compared to some of the bigger brand name holster companies.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Tim

Edited by skyblast

Well you say your using satin finish, For a nice gloss I use Saddle Lac/Neat lac. Fiebing's Leather Sheen Acrylic Spray. Theirs other stuff with waxes and elbow grease to get a nice shine.

charlie

saddle lac, neat lac if you can find it. Resolene gives a nice shine if I remember right and alot of the holster guys use that.

Atom wax will give a medium mellow shine once buffed out as will bag kote and tan kote.

A good neutral show polish gives a nice shine once buffed out you just gotta do it once in a while.

Resolene: mix 1 to 1 with tap water. Apply with a bristle (NOT NYLON) brush, . . . apply liberally, . . . brush up a froth, . . . quit applying when the froth appears good, . . . brush out the bubbles, . . . hang up to dry, . . . buff when dry (can take up to 24 hours, depending on temp and humidity).

Take a look at some of the stuff on my website, . . . it is on most of the inventory there.

May God bless,

Dwight

Resolene: mix 1 to 1 with tap water. Apply with a bristle (NOT NYLON) brush, . . . apply liberally, . . . brush up a froth, . . . quit applying when the froth appears good, . . . brush out the bubbles, . . . hang up to dry, . . . buff when dry (can take up to 24 hours, depending on temp and humidity).

Take a look at some of the stuff on my website, . . . it is on most of the inventory there.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks guys so much. Wow, I still have a lot to learn. Now. Off I go to find some of the things you all mentioned. Thanks again.

Tim

Neat-Lac is not manufactured anymore, however Clear-Lac is the same formulation and can be purchased from Sheridan Leather Outfitters and Springfield Leather. I've tried it and it works, get a can of the thinner for it when you purchase, especially of you spray or airbrush.

Art

I used Neat-Lac a bit about 20 years ago, but found that it wasn't flexible. Tends to crack and "spiderweb" when flexed - even when thinned. I DO use the Saddle-Lac, though, not quite as high-sheen as the Neat-Lac, as it seems to flex well.

I used Neat-Lac a bit about 20 years ago, but found that it wasn't flexible. Tends to crack and "spiderweb" when flexed - even when thinned. I DO use the Saddle-Lac, though, not quite as high-sheen as the Neat-Lac, as it seems to flex well.

Has anyone else been experiencing this with neat/clear lac...spiderwebbing/cracking? I would guess that there have been significant improvements over the years with this product?

Also is neat lac or resolene the final final layer in the process? Sometimes my customers complain of dye comming off on theri clothes. Will a final coat of lac prevent this? Will lac seal the dye in?

Edited by skyblast

Has anyone else been experiencing this with neat/clear lac...spiderwebbing/cracking? I would guess that there have been significant improvements over the years with this product?

Also is neat lac or resolene the final final layer in the process? Sometimes my customers complain of dye comming off on theri clothes. Will a final coat of lac prevent this? Will lac seal the dye in?

In my limited experience I have found the trick for neat lac is nice thin coats. If its something that is flexed around alot I will rub the neat lac into the leather in two thin coats. I do the first and let it dry then buff it a little then come back with a second thin coat. I usually use a white tshirt. If the item is persay a holster or hard knife sheath or something with alot of tooling that requires the neat lac to get into depressions in the leather I will use some sheep scraps but still try to keep it somewhat thin.

I dont have much experience with resolene so I cant help ya there but both of these sealers are usually the last thing to go on and is all that is required to seal up the leather. On the neat lac items I will usually throw a thin coat of nuetral shoe polish on once it is fully dry and buff that out to a nice shine.

In my limited experience I have found the trick for neat lac is nice thin coats. If its something that is flexed around alot I will rub the neat lac into the leather in two thin coats. I do the first and let it dry then buff it a little then come back with a second thin coat. I usually use a white tshirt. If the item is persay a holster or hard knife sheath or something with alot of tooling that requires the neat lac to get into depressions in the leather I will use some sheep scraps but still try to keep it somewhat thin.

I dont have much experience with resolene so I cant help ya there but both of these sealers are usually the last thing to go on and is all that is required to seal up the leather. On the neat lac items I will usually throw a thin coat of nuetral shoe polish on once it is fully dry and buff that out to a nice shine.

Great!! Thanks for the good advice. Darn. I wish I would have learned this two years ago. Oh well better now than never right?

I just cleaned up a saddle covered in SaddleLac because it had spider cracked wherever there was movement in the leather. I find most of the fellas in my area prefer the mellow glow on a holster or gun case, I guess because most are hunters and it's an old carry over about shiney stuff when hunting alerting the game.

I picked up some saddle lac last week or so and when compared to neat lac it is different. It smells different and has a silghtly different texture.

I have heard that neat lac and clear lac are the same thing and saddle lac is suppose to be similer but I have not had much time to play with the saddle lac yet. More experienced guys should chime in about the saddle lac. I will have to experiment with it some more before I can really determine if I like it. It may be that it doesnt hold as well as the other stuff does.

I picked up some saddle lac last week or so and when compared to neat lac it is different. It smells different and has a silghtly different texture.

I have heard that neat lac and clear lac are the same thing and saddle lac is suppose to be similer but I have not had much time to play with the saddle lac yet. More experienced guys should chime in about the saddle lac. I will have to experiment with it some more before I can really determine if I like it. It may be that it doesnt hold as well as the other stuff does.

Ok so now I'm home and am using Feibings Resolene and Saddle Lac. I gotta tell you guys...I freakin love love love the (spray) Saddle Lac!! OMG!! Wow. My only issue is that it might be a bit too shiny?

The Resolene was ok? It tended to run a lot and now that it's dry you can the see the streaks.

Is there a lower gloss spray saddle lac out there? The one I have says "new higher gloss"

Edited by skyblast

So now I'm afraid I'm a victum of maybe getting what I asked for...too shiny? I have noticed that Galco, Brigade and many other big companies work their holsters up to a pretty good shine. Is mine too shiny?

When I brought one of my holsters into a shop the other day mine was compared to a Galco. The Galco popped with a nice shinny finsh whereas mine was dull and boring. I understand each to his own but I also love the fact that Saddle Lac seals the dye in. No more dye rubbing off on my customers pants.

Also is there a way to tone the shinness down a bit? Is there a lower gloss Saddle Lac? I can't seem to find one. The holster on the table is the same as one on my pants. Obviously though the one on the table is reflecting more light.

What do you think?

owb on pants.jpg

owb desk.jpg

desk angled.jpg

back.jpg

post-11669-127359336217_thumb.jpg

post-11669-127359339577_thumb.jpg

post-11669-127359381456_thumb.jpg

post-11669-127359397348_thumb.jpg

Edited by skyblast

I suggest you try resolene some more.

I recently finished some coasters for my mom for mother's day. Aside from being a gift, I wanted to test my finish process to see how well it holds up against water. My process was to brush on a coat of Satin Sheen, then wipe the excess with a towel and allow to completely dry in front of a fan. I then applied a second coat the same way the following day. Lastly, I took Dwight's suggestion of 1:1 water & resolene, but I was too lazy to use a brush - I simply used a sponge to make sure the solution was applied liberally and got into all of the tooling impressions. Like before, I toweled off the excess and allowed them to dry in front of a fan again. I'm very happy with the finish - I do not like overly glossy leather. It doesn't feel natural to me.

I usually airbrush the resolene, but thought I'd see how the sponge method works this time as I can mix a batch of it and store it for future use in a container. Being water based, it's not hard to clean up the airbrush, but it saves a little time - and I feel like I get better coverage this way.

I suggest you try resolene some more.

I recently finished some coasters for my mom for mother's day. Aside from being a gift, I wanted to test my finish process to see how well it holds up against water. My process was to brush on a coat of Satin Sheen, then wipe the excess with a towel and allow to completely dry in front of a fan. I then applied a second coat the same way the following day. Lastly, I took Dwight's suggestion of 1:1 water & resolene, but I was too lazy to use a brush - I simply used a sponge to make sure the solution was applied liberally and got into all of the tooling impressions. Like before, I toweled off the excess and allowed them to dry in front of a fan again. I'm very happy with the finish - I do not like overly glossy leather. It doesn't feel natural to me.

I usually airbrush the resolene, but thought I'd see how the sponge method works this time as I can mix a batch of it and store it for future use in a container. Being water based, it's not hard to clean up the airbrush, but it saves a little time - and I feel like I get better coverage this way.

Great suggestions. Thank you.

Now that I have applied the lac to this particular holster is there any way to tone it down a bit? Maybe with some kind of thinner? I love the idea of saddle lac but yes it is a bit too shinny. If saddle lac on a scale from one to ten is a 9 I'm looking for about a 7.

Great suggestions. Thank you.

Now that I have applied the lac to this particular holster is there any way to tone it down a bit? Maybe with some kind of thinner? I love the idea of saddle lac but yes it is a bit too shinny. If saddle lac on a scale from one to ten is a 9 I'm looking for about a 7.

From my woodworking days... I always loved the Minwax Wipe On Poly - I always read that if you want a satin finish, but need to use multiple coats for good penetration and a smooth finish, you should do all but the final coat with the glossy finish. The final layer should be the satin finish to dull the gloss from the previous layers. You might try putting a light coat of Satin Sheen on it to see if that dulls the finish.

Years ago (early 1970's) when I was younger and more foolish, I did a number of this sort of project.....leather covered rifle stocks....seven of them as I recall. I'll never do another. However, for a finish I used a good quality brushing lacquer, (for cabinet work) thinned 50/50 with lacquer thinner and MISTED on the raw leather.....nothing under it. Two fine coats with minimal time between. Then, after 48 hrs. of drying..........a coat of neutral polish buffed with soft flannel. The first pic is of one ready for finishing...the second.... after. The pics aren't too good as they are from 35mm slides which were then printed, then a current digital photo taken. Any lacquer product must be applied in VERY thin coats, allowed to dry just enough....not too much......so that the next coat will chemically bond with the first into a single layer. Two very thin coats is enough.....more can crack in this sort of application. Just my two cents and experience with lacquer products. I don't use any lacquer products anymore. Mike

021-2.jpg

006-2.jpg

Thanks again for all of the great advice. I tried dipping a saddle lac(ed) holster in Resolene to bring it down to satin. It seems to have worked a little. Man, saddle lac is no joke...shinny as all heck!

So I did bring down a few saddle lac(ed) holsters to a gunshop where I am currently selling them. The responce I did get from a very experinced gun dealer (who is in charge of the holster ordering)....all he had to say was, "WOW, they look fantastic!" Before when they had a light satin finsh on them I did not get the same reaction.

BUT

On the the flipside I keep hearing from everyone that most guys will prefer a matte/satin, instead of the high gloss...? I guess I will have to carry my designs in both satin and gloss?

Although most may prefer matte/satin I am gald all of my demos are in high gloss. I really want them to make a statement when I bring them into a shop for the first time. As the saying goes....one chance at making a first impression. Risky though. Maybe the guy in the shop hates high gloss? I will have to quickly tell him... and they come in satin too and bust one out asap!!

I havent made any post on here but I was reading yours and thought I would share how I get my stuff to shine. All I use is Kewi Boot polish. I use the black on projects that are black and netural on everything else. Just rub it on, buff it off. You can make it shine like a new nickle and I think it helps protect it a little. It will dull down over time and all ya have to do is put alittle more on it.

I might be wrong by doing it this way but it has worked for me on holsters, belts, motorcycle seats and just about everything I have done.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Joker

I havent made any post on here but I was reading yours and thought I would share how I get my stuff to shine. All I use is Kewi Boot polish. I use the black on projects that are black and netural on everything else. Just rub it on, buff it off. You can make it shine like a new nickle and I think it helps protect it a little. It will dull down over time and all ya have to do is put alittle more on it.

I might be wrong by doing it this way but it has worked for me on holsters, belts, motorcycle seats and just about everything I have done.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Joker

Thanks for the great advice. Sometime soon I hope to try polishes and waxes.

Update on saddle lac. In my humble opinion....I do not like it. I spent three hours over the weekend scraping saddle lac off of 9 holsters!!! It was NOT fun to say the least. Once I noticed it chipping off of one of my holsters I knew that there was no way that I was going to send one out the door. I did refinish them with Resolene (love it now) but will have to sell them at a discount because they were salvaged. Oh well live and learn. Thanks for all the advice all.

What a bummer, well I guess I can toss my can of saddle lac. Wasnt sure how it was going to work out. Thanks for the info.

Here is what I do, I take straight resoline, and use a sponge brush from a hardware store, apply to the leather until you see the resoline looking blue, let it dry. It gives a nice shine without being too much. Also I have noticed when I use the sponge applicator, I don't get streaks and as long as I take care of the bubbles it looks great. BUT after that first coat let it dry ALL THE WAY or you will end up in a gummy mess.