Well, summer is almost here for us folks here in the Southwest... And that means that the offical uniform of the desert dweller is going into effect.. (AKA: Shorts and t-shirt/tank top) As a result, I decided to revisit the tried and true concept of the the pocket holster.... With my home states recent passage of "Constitutional carry" removing the requirement for obtaining a CCW to carry concealed in public, I figured this might be a staple to add to the line up of holsters that I make and direct toward concealed carry.

With that being said, I have started building some prototype holsters and figured I would look to the fine folks here for some suggestions, comments, advice or other color commentary... I built this design using 6-7 oz leather, smooth side in (to the gun) with the outside being laminated with a very tacky foam/rubber material that is used to line kitchen shelfs. It's intent is to fix the holster in the pocket so that it doesn't move around, it broadens the shape of the handgun to avoid printing and it assists in keeping the holster in the pocket during the draw. So far, it limited testing, it has worked as planned. I have a couple of sample prototype holsters out there now being tested and evaluated by a couple of folks. The lining material on the outside of the holster is softer than the leather so it adds to the comfort factor of having a chunk of metal in your pocket as well.

Please take a look at the prototype and let me know what you think... Concept, construction and craftsmanship are all open for discussion.

http://i83.photobuck...cketHolster.jpg

http://i83.photobuck...ketHolster2.jpg

http://i83.photobuck...HolsterP3AT.jpg

http://i83.photobuck...olsterP3AT2.jpg

-Tac

Edited by Tac

Well, summer is almost here for us folks here in the Southwest... And that means that the offical uniform of the desert dweller is going into effect.. (AKA: Shorts and t-shirt/tank top) As a result, I decided to revisit the tried and true concept of the the pocket holster.... With my home states recent passage of "Constitutional carry" removing the requirement for obtaining a CCW to carry concealed in public, I figured this might be a staple to add to the line up of holsters that I make and direct toward concealed carry.

========================================================================================================

Good morning Tac........First of all let me say that I damned glad your Governor signed that bit of legislation, and second let me say that I hope to hell the idiot bleeding heart liberals (and foreign instigators) don't put up such a stink that she thinks she must rescind it!! We have a bit of the same problem over here in your neighboring state, but the peaches and cream crowd don't seem to live in the real world. Maybe some of them should have ridden with me while on patrol as a LEO for some of those years I spent running around our desert areas........but they may have seen that their impression of the "undocumented" aliens wasn't quite correct. Anyway......I like your ideas, and the product looks feasible to me. I just don't know of the outer surface material; what it looks and feels like in my grubby mitt. That would give me a better idea of longevity and wear-ability. You are correct, the summer uniform will soon be in effect and I do wear sawed off jeans and tank tops........usually a very loose tank with a J frame Smith riding in tight and close under it. I have tried to come up with a comfortble pocket holser, and have never really hit on one I like. This is my normal style of 'walking around' holster. Mike

003-5.jpg

004-7.jpg

-Tac

Edited by katsass

Thanks for the comments Katsass. I am not one to debate politics or religion in a public forum, but sufice it to say that this Govenor has my vote so far.

As to the holster, the outer material has a soft, semi-tacky feel that is hard to describe. It definately aids in keeping the holster where you put it. As for durability, it has a nylon woven core, and seems to be pretty impervious to normal wear and tear. I am sure if you drug it down the road behind a truck or slid down a gravel embankment on it, it would be destroyed, but in and out of the pocket and normal bumps and abrasions haven't seemed to have an effect on it.

Like you, I wasn't satisfied with some of the commercially available pocket holsters. Most of the versions I had purchased over the years either moved around in the pocket, came out with the gun during the draw, or were too soft and printed the outline of the gun through the clothing. The one I used the most was the DeSantis Nemisis version. I liked the outer material's rubbery texture and that spawned my idea for this version. The problem with the Nemisis was always the soft side construction. The leather core of my holster is not stiff like a wet molded/formed holster, but it is rigid enought to aid in prevention of the gun's outline from printing and it remains open in the pocket, in the event you need to reholster without removing the holster from the pocket.

At any rate, thanks for the comments.

Any other feed back out there?

-Tac

Very cool design. I like it. One question; does the clearance between the grip and the holster allow you to grip it effectively ?

Very cool design. I like it. One question; does the clearance between the grip and the holster allow you to grip it effectively ?

Matt,

The revolver holster allows for as complete of a firing grip as can be had when drawing from a pocket holster. The one I made for the Kel Tec P3AT was a little closer to the grip and gave up some of the ability to get a complete hold on the gun, so I have some patterning adjustments to make on that version.

Thanks for the feedback.

-Tac

Good patterns. here is one I did a small 5 shot. North American 22

It simple and it works.

Stewart

post-13948-006966500 1288892398_thumb.jp

Nice looking holsters.

I prefer a rectangular profile to prevent any danger of a gun shaped outline in the pocket:

post-15079-000459600 1288901129_thumb.jp

Here is a RH holster I make for the Ruger LCP. This pocket holster looks like a wallet in your front pocket... if its seen at all. I dont wear pants so tight that it would even print though.

7530.jpg