bgentry

Looking For Info On Hullings Saddlery, Freebug, Il

A friend of mine has a saddle that we're trying to find some information on. He bought it from a friend in the early eighties, who said he had it custom made for him in the early sixties. The saddle is in remarkably good shape for it's age. It's stamped, "Hullings Saddlery, MAKER, Freeburg, IL", on the skirt on both sides of the saddle, just behind where the back of the rider's thighs would be. The only other marking is what I assume to be a serial number stamped underneath the cantle. I've searched around on the internet but haven't had any luck finding any info on the saddle, or Hullings Saddleworks.

Any information anyone has would be appreciated. Thanks!

Brad

Brad,

My suspicions here. Cletus Hulling was a big time horse trader and I am pretty sure that is where he was at - not too far from St Louis. Many folks may find it hard to believe but at one time there were some great cutting horses and trainers in Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. I was at his place once, and it was kind of overwhelming. You needed a calf horse, cutter, bulldogging horse, pleasure horse, whatever - the only limiting factor was your money and ability. When I was a kid too, Price McClaughlin saddles were pretty popular in that area. I had heard for years that Price McClaughlin was at Cletus Hullings for a while. A few years ago, ShopTalk had an article on Price McClaughlin and that confirmed it. There is a better than average chance the saddle might have been made when he was there in Illinois.

My thoughts go along with Bruce's. Cletus Hulling, along with Sonny Thomison, were the 2 late great horse traders of the modern era..................I never knew Hulling to build a saddle, but it makes sense that this saddle you are asking about came from him, with Price or another saddle maker as the actual maker. JW

Brad,

My suspicions here. Cletus Hulling was a big time horse trader and I am pretty sure that is where he was at - not too far from St Louis. Many folks may find it hard to believe but at one time there were some great cutting horses and trainers in Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. I was at his place once, and it was kind of overwhelming. You needed a calf horse, cutter, bulldogging horse, pleasure horse, whatever - the only limiting factor was your money and ability. When I was a kid too, Price McClaughlin saddles were pretty popular in that area. I had heard for years that Price McClaughlin was at Cletus Hullings for a while. A few years ago, ShopTalk had an article on Price McClaughlin and that confirmed it. There is a better than average chance the saddle might have been made when he was there in Illinois.

Hello All, I worked for Cletus for about 6 years in the late 60's and into the mid seventies when he was in Smithton , Ill. The saddle was probably made by Price when he was up there. If you would post a picture I could tell you if he made it or not. Benny Veach also made some saddles for Cletus around that time. When I worked for him we would have 750 plus in the summer time on hand and around 450 in the winter time.Ship at least a simi load a week and recive the same. Some days we would have dealers come in and I'd sort the pasture geldings and we'd show them ,in and by. Ride them for about 3 or 4 minutes apeice. Some were alittle juicey. We had anywhere from 50 to 150 mares and geldings on full feed under some big sheds,2yr and up,fat slick and were sure broncy. We kept about 80 in stalls,reiners,cutters , ropers,pleasure horses,etc.We had kids come in to work,go to lunch and would never be seen again. Just about every trainer who's 50 past has been influnced by Cletus one way or another. He was a good man. Sorry if I got side tracked, Thanks Clint Haverty

Hello All, I worked for Cletus for about 6 years in the late 60's and into the mid seventies when he was in Smithton , Ill. The saddle was probably made by Price when he was up there. If you would post a picture I could tell you if he made it or not. Benny Veach also made some saddles for Cletus around that time. When I worked for him we would have 750 plus in the summer time on hand and around 450 in the winter time.Ship at least a simi load a week and recive the same. Some days we would have dealers come in and I'd sort the pasture geldings and we'd show them ,in and by. Ride them for about 3 or 4 minutes apeice. Some were alittle juicey. We had anywhere from 50 to 150 mares and geldings on full feed under some big sheds,2yr and up,fat slick and were sure broncy. We kept about 80 in stalls,reiners,cutters , ropers,pleasure horses,etc.We had kids come in to work,go to lunch and would never be seen again. Just about every trainer who's 50 past has been influnced by Cletus one way or another. He was a good man. Sorry if I got side tracked, Thanks Clint Haverty

Hey Clint, love to hear others talk about the horse traders back in the good ol days. A good friend of mine and the guy that really got me started making and repairing saddles, Bobby Jacobs, loves to talk about those days with Cletus and the rest. He sure has some interesting stories! He is still tradin saddles but not horses any more.

Bondo Bob

Here is a story that is about a saddle that a friend of mine left me when she moved to Florida. I've copied the email she sent about the saddle: She says it is a Billy Cook Saddle. The only marking I could find is Hullings Saddlery, Freeburg IL. Custom 6402.
If anyone has any info about this, let me know. I will send another email with pictures

"The saddle was one that my dad took on "trade" for a horse, I'd say in the 1950s or early 60s. Dad had the horse and the person didn't have enough money to buy it, but he had the saddle and money, so Dad traded the horse. I remember him coming home and my mom saying that was fine, but we couldn't eat the saddle! (Her dad was a country doctor and people would pay with whatever they had, which sometimes included wood carvings--yes, I have those--so I can imagine her mother saying the same thing to her father!

My dad knew a lot of people with horses, and he knew a lot about horses. So he would "pick up" horses to sell to others who were "looking" for something in particular. It was quick money when we needed to eat! I have an old Clydesdale blanket that he was given when he found a horse they wanted.

The fellow I took the saddle to was Martin Bergin. (in 2015) He cleaned the saddle you have and told us not to put it on consignment and accept anything less than $800-850. He said that it was the tooling that made it special."

Here's a link about him: Cowboy Poet - Saddle Maker - Martin Bergin

I had his name from a horse owner at Mary Queen of Peace who knew him and his work. 

There are some markings on the saddle itself, and here are some links about the place:

I have a saddle I bought back in 1988 that is stamped Billy Cook made for Cletis Hulling. I guess he had different saddle makers making saddles for him. I have never heard of Cletis making saddles .