UKRay

Reconstructing 17Th Century Sword Scabbards

Hi Ray,

The stitching is relatively straight forward tunnel stitching but I'd like to be able to make a much finer stitch. My only curved awl is a wee bit big for the job - I broke my smaller one and don't know where to get a replacement at present.

I'd also like to find a few more stitch marker wheels in different sizes...

Try and get hold of Edwin Hale at Hale & Co. http://haleandco.com/ he's got new old stock Barnsley awls in all sorts of sizes and can probably sort you out. I got some fine heel awls from him a while ago.

That said, by far the nicest awl I've ever used was made by Dick Anderson at Thornapple River Boots, http://www.thornappleriverboots.com/ he's a real gentleman and a fine craftsman. His website is out of date and doesn't reflect his current prices or stock, but if you send him a picture he can make pretty much any sort of awl you want.

Edited by amuckart

Hi Ray

send me a PM with your address and I'll probably be able to find one for you as I've got all sizes. I'm not sure about the Stitch marker, how many Stitches per inch do you want. I've probably got a common wheel that will do the Job. One of the principles of Leather work is simplicity. Things appear very complicated but the simplest method Always turns out to be the best. Have you measured how many SPI are used on the old Scabbards? I allways found that the visible sewing was done 10 or 12 SPI but the Hidden stitching was done coarse at 6 SPI. Backing Awls (Curved Awls) are not used for fine sewing very often.

I hope this will be of assistance to you.

Kindest Regards.

Jim Saddler.

Hi Jim,

After reading your post I began experimenting with all kinds of leather. The process you have described is pretty much what I've now worked out for myself by trial and many errors. I'm still working on the boning process to get the 'finesse' just right but essentially, yes, I absolutely agree with everything you say. The stitching is relatively straight forward tunnel stitching but I'd like to be able to make a much finer stitch. My only curved awl is a wee bit big for the job - I broke my smaller one and don't know where to get a replacement at present.

I'd also like to find a few more stitch marker wheels in different sizes...

Best wishes and many thanks for your extremely valuable contributions,

Ray

Many thanks, Al - and PM sent, JIm.

Ray