skyblast

Motorized Burnishing Tool

I've seen here and there wooden and plastic burnishing bits that appear to go on the end of a drill.

My question. Is there anything out there that rests on a table that you can operate by foot? I am invisioning a heavy motorized device that spins at variant speeds by foot pedal inwhich you can determine the speed of the bit while burnishing an edge?

Does anything like that exsist and where might one buy this type of thing? Thanks

I use a corded drill with a foot pedal speed controller. It works out great for me. I found my foot petal at Harbor Frieight near the cutting discs and drills.

Good luck

I've seen here and there wooden and plastic burnishing bits that appear to go on the end of a drill.

My question. Is there anything out there that rests on a table that you can operate by foot? I am invisioning a heavy motorized device that spins at variant speeds by foot pedal inwhich you can determine the speed of the bit while burnishing an edge?

Does anything like that exsist and where might one buy this type of thing? Thanks

A foot operated slicker? Never seen nor heard of anything like that. You could try something like put the slicker on the rear wheel of a 10 speed bike? You'd have a 10 speed slicker! Or put it on a wool spinning wheel, and treadle as fast as you'd like? Sorry, double bubble came early... :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item335c7f2ffb I use one of these. you still need to edge the leather and it runs around 1750 rpm's. I find it works better if you dampen the edge of the leather before applying the burnish wax. On off switch no foot petal. I also have some I can mount in the drill press some bought from someone on the forum and some homemade from wooden thread spools covereds with canvas. saddle soap and glycerin bar soap. Off subject but related is the best procedure on burnishing you'll find. http://leatherworker.net/Bob%20Park/Finishing%20Edges.pdf

charlie

Edited by iwannabeacowboy

I bought one of these http://www.harborfre...haft-43533.html

It has a variable speed to it. I have a friend who is into wood-turning and made a burnisher for me. We mounted it to a plate with a nut welded to it. This in turn just screws onto the shaft of the grinder's motor.

-Andy

P.S.

I bet you could find some sort of foot pedal speed reducer and make it work with a bench grinder. I can't imagine it would be that hard.

Edited by AndyL1