TrustCommunicationConsent

Home Made Bevellers

Time to give back a bit. I have learned a LOT from this site and while I do no know it all I do do a few things others might find usefull.

I have a shop full of different types of bevellers and strap cutters some of which I have made. the first picture shows how to make a very simple bevler (I have 6 of these (3 sets of 2)). I use them to bevel both sides of my straps before I braid for me it just makes for a better looking end product. the 2nd picture I braided to show the why i bevel (notice the red shows a pinkish edge when the straps are not braided, also I find the finished producet is also smoother when the edges are beveled. I also run each strap through my splitter so that all of the straps are the same thickness.

To make a bevler I simply take a bit of wood and cut a slot in it with a hack saw (a jewlers was wuld make a thinner slot but I do not have one). Right by the slot I drill a hole to take the screw that will go there. I take washer and bend over on edge (simply by putting it in a vice and hitting it with a hammer (suttle I am not)). put the washer on the screw and lichtly start the screw in the hole. slide a single edged blade into the slot and under the bend in the washer. tighten down the screw and you have it does except for the width. You can do quite well with just one of these and a clamp to adjust the width of the cut. I do a lot of beveling so i took the little time needed to make up a couple of set with standard (for me) widths. For instance I make a lot of flogger handles so I have a strap cutter set up to cut 4 straps each 5/8" (third picture) then I have a pair of bevelers the first one cuts just a shaving off the 5/8" while beveling it and the second makes sure it is exectly 1/2" while beveling the second side (both of the bottom sides are bevled). Next time I will show my splitter (one made for braiders rather than saddle and belt makers) as well as a nice strap cutter that can cut tapered plaits.

Here is hoping this is usefull.

Mike

beveler fixed width.JPG

handle braid unbeveled.jpg

strap cutter 4 straps.JPG

post-13423-127385767103_thumb.jpg

post-13423-127385770715_thumb.jpg

post-13423-127385817177_thumb.jpg

Thanks for sharing your ideas. I made a beveler from a wooden dowel that i cut at an angle. Then I found a metal collar that can be adjusted to the proper width. I look forward to seeing your other creations. I also made a crude but useable splitter from a piece of PVC pipe and bolts and washers. Depending on the thickness of the string, I can add or remove washers.

Logan

Thanks for sharing your ideas. I made a beveler from a wooden dowel that i cut at an angle. Then I found a metal collar that can be adjusted to the proper width. I look forward to seeing your other creations. I also made a crude but useable splitter from a piece of PVC pipe and bolts and washers. Depending on the thickness of the string, I can add or remove washers.

Logan

I have seen them even tried making one but I have to change sizes to much to like them I finally found and baught one from Austriail that I now would not be without. it is hand held and perfect for my needs. It uses standard utility blades and thickness is adjusted with a simple thumb screw.

@ TrustCommunicationConsent

Thank You so much for posting this! A friend sent me looking for a video of how to make one, but it was all metal and pipe. Yours I can manage to make. Thank You thank You.

I appreciate you posting this. I can't figure out where you would put the lace to use this, however. ????? what am I missing?

I appreciate you posting this. I can't figure out where you would put the lace to use this, however. ????? what am I missing?

I think it on its side the left side would be the top where you pull the string through.

How working this bevler?

Can photos of the process?

Thank you.