Boertjie

Singer 29U171A Info Wanted.

I am looking for a leather sticher but can only drool over the Tipman and Cobra advertisements. However I came across this machine in an upholstery shop. See pictures. It looks the same as the 29K series Singer machines discussed in this forum, but the model designation might give a clue to it's spesifications and abilities. The owner could not give me any information regarding it's abilities, he could not even thread the machine - he never used it - bought it with the business long time ago. I am a seasonal leather worker and makes belts, handbags, holsters and some horse tack as well as small projects such as book covers. Will this machine be up to the job, or is it an overkill? It is in very good condition and seems to be very little used. He's asking around $400 - is that a deal?

Boertjie.

DSC00184.JPG

DSC00183.JPG

post-9498-127410418915_thumb.jpg

post-9498-127410419466_thumb.jpg

That patcher will sew a bit over 1/4" of leather, using #69 thread. It has the small bobbin which will hold enough #69 thread to sew a couple of belts, or a pair of boots, which it was designed for. The maximum clearance under the lifted pressor foot is 3/8", but the working lift maxes out at 1/4". This limits these machines to patching boots, shoes, jackets, or thin belts and straps. They are really good for zipper installations and applying decorative patches to leather vests. The patchers all have top feed only, via the teeth on the bottom of the pressor foot. The foot rotates 360 degrees, via a butterfly adjuster under the head.

It is worth $400 to a shoe repair shop. A saddler would be better off buying a cylinder arm heavy duty stitcher.

I am looking for a leather sticher but can only drool over the Tipman and Cobra advertisements. However I came across this machine in an upholstery shop. See pictures. It looks the same as the 29K series Singer machines discussed in this forum, but the model designation might give a clue to it's spesifications and abilities. The owner could not give me any information regarding it's abilities, he could not even thread the machine - he never used it - bought it with the business long time ago. I am a seasonal leather worker and makes belts, handbags, holsters and some horse tack as well as small projects such as book covers. Will this machine be up to the job, or is it an overkill? It is in very good condition and seems to be very little used. He's asking around $400 - is that a deal?

Boertjie.

That is a fine looking Machine....Get it....BUT IT IS NOT A MACHINE TO BE USED FOR WHAT YOU ARE MAKING.

IT IS A PATCHING MACHINE.....

to thread it you have to push or pull the thread down through a hole in top to get to the needle. It's close to the shiny thread holder at the front of the machine. If you get it and don't like it you can sell it to shoe repair shop and probely make some money.

Yes!! Nothing beats the experience and knowledge of the old hands and you can have it just for the asking. Thank you guys, you definately saved me the frustration getting the thing to do it was not designed for and some money as well. Now to find that bargain cylinder arm heavy duty stitcher!

Boertjie.

Boertjie

Hi my name it Tosh (Kempton Park, Gauteng) & i have just bought a Singer 29U171A machine for R200-00 from a guy that has also never used it. The machine is i perfect working order, Just needs & good clean & oiling. I think you are paying a bit much. If you brouse the web, all the service & parts books are available on free down load.