Kanuist

Usable Life Of A Delrin Stamp

I'd like to know how long delrin stamps last? I'd like to have a custom stamp made for a belt & holster project. Metal stamps seem to be cost prohibitive for a single project. Delrin stamps are priced right, but will it last long enough. The stamp size is less than 1" and would cover the entire belt surface and some of the holster trim.

Does it matter where I have the delrin made, are some makers better than others? Do you have a recommendation?

Thanks

I have two stamps like that and have used for about 10 years. Never had a problem with either one. Their for two different names i make things under one is used all the time and the other once in awhile. I don't take the best care of mine either, use it and pitch it back in the drawer. Neither one has never had any damage.

I'm not sure about different makers being better than the other. Mine came from Hide Crafters. I'm not sure who did the work for them. Or i'm guessing they had some one else make them.

Edited by dirtclod

I second Grey Ghost Graphics! Great guy, fast service, quality stamp.

Got my stamp from Dbar, been using it 2 years now I guess and it's doing the same now as it did the first day.

I got mine from Brenda at Lasergiftcreations Dot Com. She did a great job and it was quick too

Tim Worley

TK-Leather

If you treat them right you can get thousands of impressions. The two things that will hurt them is hitting thin material too hard or dropping them. Using too much pressure can flatten them and dropping them can nick them.

If you're worried about the lifespan, why not get a metal stamp?

I got mine from this place under $40:

http://www.phillipsengraving.com/Leather_Stamps.html

I have had at least four delrin stamps made and I like them real well. My first one came from hidecrafters and is a very large oval stamp (2 inch) made of white delrin it must be ten years old. My last few of different sizes came from Jeff at Grey Ghost, and I have had good luck with them as well. Metal stamps are not without their problems some can rust and an unplanned trip from the work bench to a concrete floor can damage them as well. Bottom line, for the money DELRIN!........