tdwarburton

Tripping Collar Vs Roper Breast Collar

Hey fellas, I have a good friend that is hosting a team roping. It his first event and unfortunately I am un able to make it due to prior comittments (the things ya have to do to stay married) Anyways I thought I would donate a breat collar as a prize in my absence since they would have gotten a donation from me in the form of an entry fee). My delima is which to make? A roper breast collar or a tripping breast collar? I like the idea of having more area on a tripping collar to be creative (to be donated as a trophy) I love the look of a Tripping breast collar but to tell you the truth I dont know if there is any performance draw backs to a tripping breast collar. Your opinion fellas?

From a "what works best on a horse" standpoint go with a good center ring breast collar. Better yet make up a good pulling collar with the tugs going around the fork, this has become my favorite design. In order of what works best and what sells the best, I'd say it's #1 pulling, #2 center ring breast collar, #3 tripping collar. I admit as far as room to decorate goes, they would be placed in reverse order. I have built a few trippers but I don't like them......

As far as performance goes, it really depends on which end the person is roping when using it. My brother ropes full time and he uses a tripping breast collar alot on his head horse, but doesnt always use both sets of tugs and it works fine. On his heeling horses though it would be overkill. So, you might just consider making two, one of each type to give to the winning team or high money winner from each end.

If it were me I wouldn't consider making anything but a roper breast collar to give away at a roping. After all it's not a tripping! In my opinion a roper style is a much more versatile, all around breast collar. I wouldn't use a tripping collar unless I had a horse who couldn't get along with anything else. To be honest most of my friends who trip use roper style breast collars anyway. A tripping collar is easier to make but I think a roper style is more appropriate for a roping...IMHO.

Bobby

Thanks to you all for your replies! As it turned out he asked me to make 2 bronc halters instead. Nonethless it was a good chance to learn something and for that I am greatful. I wish I would have found this forum 10yrs ago. It is great, and it has renewed my interest in leather working......Thanks to you all.

Keep yer stick on the ice,

Trevor