Luke Hatley

Arbor Press

have any of you fine folks used or is using the Arbor Press from Harbor Frieght

to emboss 3-d stamps with? and were you satisified with it ?

I use an Arbor Press for a lot of my stamping work. It works great for stamps that must stay vertical all the time. I use mine regularly for anything from setting snaps and rivets to punching holes. Looking at the press at Harbor Freight you would probably need a flat base under the pressing arm instead of the slotted one for leatherwork.

How would I modify the Harbor Freight arbor pressto stamp? The press looks like it has a flat, square foot.

I've heard of someone who took the foot to a machine shop and drilled a hole big enough and deep enough for a stamping handle to be inserted held in place with a set screw.

I milled a slot in the ram for my makers stamp and it is secured by two set screws.I use this for my knives and my leather.Dave

Stamper.jpg

Some great ideas here. I was at Harbor Freight yesterday. Had to take a rain check. But he 1/2 ton arbor was on sale for $32.99. Great deal. They gave me rain check and a 20% discount coupon.

Hi Luke

I have tried and wasn't too thrilled with the results...

The best impressions I ever got were after holding the handle down and hitting it with a rubber mallet about 25 - 30 times.

:smashcomp: <------Pretend that is an Arbor Press under the hammer

I have a clicker now, and that solved my problems...... If didn't have a clicker, I think I would look into getting a small shop press that run's on air pressure.

How about you? Do you have any tricks to make it work for small 3-D stamps?

Edited by LNLeather

Hi Luke

I have tried and wasn't too thrilled with the results...

The best impressions I ever got were after holding the handle down and hitting it with a rubber mallet about 25 - 30 times.

:smashcomp: <------Pretend that is an Arbor Press under the hammer

I have a clicker now, and that solved my problems...... If didn't have a clicker, I think I would look into getting a small shop press that run's on air pressure.

How about you? Do you have any tricks to make it work for small 3-D stamps?

I did buy the 1/2 ton press and i am not pleased wirh the results with printing the 3-d

stamps.

It seems like i am getting 1-1 pressure , mabey i should bought the 1-Ton press.

imight need a longer arm to pull down.

What i wanted to use it for was embossing plates that i have had for a while.

so not print the 3-d stamps,nor the embossing plates like i thought it should

I did buy the 1/2 ton press and i am not pleased wirh the results with printing the 3-d

stamps.

It seems like i am getting 1-1 pressure , mabey i should bought the 1-Ton press.

How about a press from Tandy?!?!?!:rolleyes2: lol

stamps.

Hi Luke

Just from my (limited) experience, using the Arbor press (and any emboss plate that is bigger than the 3-D stamps) will surely not make your leather look like you expect it to. You will not get a good impression.

I have a 700 Clicker, and using an emboss plate on cased leather - I hold the press in the down position and count from 15 to 30 before I let it up. It would be nearly impossible to get that kind of pressure from an Arbor press.

I learned how to use the emboss plates when I bought them... The emboss plates that are sold by Duckcreektraders on ebay (Bunkhouse Leather), and are larger than about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, come with instructions that say something like this.......

post-15330-087567600 1282485201_thumb.jp post-15330-043740800 1282484998_thumb.jp

"This sample was made using a 12 ton hydraulic shop press. This plate measures about 2 1/4" x 3 1/8". It is not a hammer stamp and should be pressed in using a hydraulic press, clicker press, or a shop press like we do and the pressure plate should cover the entire top of the plate ."

I think you might want something larger than an Arbor Press - if your emboss plates are larger than the 3-D stamps.

My Arbor Press sits unused on the bench....... so far a waste of my money....

Best of luck

Edited by LNLeather

"I wished i knew then....What i know now"

where did you get the 700 Clicker ?

"I wished i knew then....What i know now"

where did you get the 700 Clicker ?

Oh Yeah, You Said It!

I just wish I had found LEATHERWORKER.NET sooner...

OK, I have a Tippmann Clicker 700, They advertise right up there at the top of the page... and right now it costs less than it did when I bought mine!

post-15330-002175300 1282510988_thumb.jp

and to run it I have a Craftsman Air Compressor

post-15330-060380800 1282511268_thumb.jp

BTW - I was able to buy the Clicker at the time - with my severance pay when I was layed off

because the company I worked for on Vashon... moved all the "Production line" to China....

.....and then I figured it would probably be a good thing to learn a new trade...

I love the Clicker because you can use it for so many things. and it is very user friendly and fast. I use it for empress plates and cutting dies. Tippmann also has a die making service and they will make any die for you - with your specifications.

I think, it just depends on what you want to do with your leather. Cutting perfect circles is not my idea of fun and with the Clicker I can cut hundreds of coasters out of 9-10 oz leather and have the least bit of waste possible out of a hide... I just don't have the (cutting) skills down like a lot of the incredibly talented folks here... so much to learn...

Now If I just waned a Press for Emboss Plates, I would ask the folks at Duckcreektraders what Shop Press they use or recommend. They are happy to answer questions and are Really Super folks. Yup, You can tell I am a Happy Customer of theirs....

I also just got my new catalog and noticed that Harbor Freight has different Shop Presses at reasonable prices.

Each step taken to call your project done, is so much more than most people will ever know...

Oh well, even if I didn't make any money at it, I am having more fun than I ever would have imagined...

Hey Luke, Harbor Frieght has a 6 ton bottle press that mounts on a table or bench for $89.95 and if you have the room a 12 ton floor model for about $129. I think both are spring return, for more speed in recycling. I don't know if this will help but I hope so. One thing too is you have to get some thick plate for the base and fix a jig for the ram side. Simple things for old hounds like us. Billy P

Hi Luke - If you are still interested......

I had written to Duckcreektraders to get their recommendation and this is what they sent....

They recommended 2 from Harbor Freight.

post-15330-091391100 1284949063_thumb.jp 6 Ton A-Frame Bench Shop Press

Harbor Freight Item # 1666

Only $89.99

and also

post-15330-005961000 1284949327_thumb.jp 12 Ton Shop Press

Harbor Freight Item #33497

Only $139.00

Sale $129.00

I also found this one 12 Ton Shop Press at Amazon for $119.00

post-15330-043783000 1284949905_thumb.jp 12 Ton Shop Press

If I was going to get one of these I would look for feed back and also check what the shipping charges are.

Ray Tipton from Duckcreektraders says "We use a 12 ton shop press but if you don't need to do anything

much bigger than half a wallet or such a matter a smaller one would work" He also sent me this

post-15330-028405500 1284950440_thumb.jp Shop Press Instructions

Edited by LNLeather

I've seen people use these shop presses before for die cutting of leather but for stamping purposes, how would you know when you have enough pressure on the leather?

Damon

I've seen people use these shop presses before for die cutting of leather but for stamping purposes, how would you know when you have enough pressure on the leather?

Damon

Hi Damon

Practice on scraps first. Probably depends on different pieces of leather, casing, and emboss plate design. When using a cutting die it is easy, as you said. Embossing takes just a little practice and you'll get the feeling for how long it takes. On some of the plates I use I'll hold it down for 10 to up to 30 seconds...

It also helps to have something under the piece of leather you want to emboss, the size of the emboss plate - to help with the embossing process and to help push the leather up into the emboss plate. I use a piece of 9/10 oz leather.

post-15330-058972900 1284952646_thumb.jp post-15330-038787700 1284952947_thumb.jp

Edited by LNLeather

Limited space, limited budget, so I just use a C-clamp.

Limited space, limited budget, so I just use a C-clamp.

Wow! That is a very clever idea! I wouldn't have thought of that.

Good Thinkin' Gawdzilla!

I had previously used the 1 ton from Harbor Freight and it was fair but having physical limitations I looked around and found a 2 ton with ratcheting handle at Northern Tools. Perhaps other have the same tool but have not bothered to look any further.

It has been great and I user steel plates, top of the work and bottom when clicking small items. Largest I hade cut so far is 2" rosette, using a clicker die from Weaver. The ratcheting feature was a real plus for me and the increased capacity has been great.

Have thought about having 3/8" hole drilled in center of shaft as others have done but still undecided. Needs a good base as the machine weighs in @ 100 pounds.

Just thought I would share and hope you find a machine to do the trick. I also use a 12 ton floor mounted press from Harbor, for clicking larger items or stamping with larger custom stamps.

helmut

Mine is a Palmgren 1 ton Arbor Press that holds the stamps with a magnet. When we broke the magnet, had to order industrial strength online. Otherwise, I'm very satisfied with the Palmgren. I think a lot of people use the Harbor Frieght press and I've seen mixed reviews, so I don't know how well it works. My cased leather works best when it is on the wet side. Just a little tip. If you want to compare, take a look at the Palmgren.

I am not pleased with the Harbor Tools Press..If i could trade it in for a RATCHING PRESS i would...I M H O ...

I beleive i could get more pressure from the ratching one.

Edited by Luke Hatley

There are more expensive hydraulic presses on the market - one in particular is sold by Northern Tools. It has a pressure gauge on top so that once you find the "best" pressure on a run you can duplicate it time and again with no problem. It runs about $280.

Cliff.

Damon

I am not pleased with the Harbor Tools Press..If i could trade it in for a RATCHING PRESS i would...I M H O ...

I beleive i could get more pressure from the ratching one.

I totally agree with Luke. "If i could trade it in for a RATCHETING PRESS I would"

I bought the 1/2 ton Harbor Freight Press for use in the house, thinking I could work on small projects with it.

But it is way too much frustration to get it to do what I want. I haven't used it for at least 10 months.

I just use my Clicker for all jobs now, large and small.

It sounds like the ratcheting press would be much better. Or who knows, I might just try using a C-clamp like Gawdzilla - really!

BTW Harbor Freight is having a sale and the 12 Ton Shop Press is only $129.99 and the

20 ton is only $199.99. There is also a 6 Ton A-Frame Bench Shop Press for $79.99 that looks interesting.

Amazon also has the Northern Industrial Arbor Shop Press With Ratchet Handle for $179.99 remember that is Plus shipping

Watch out - Buyer Beware - over on EBAY - it looks like someone is trying to sell a plain Arbor Press as one that has a ratchet handle for only $39.95

I'm going to the Northern Tool store next week, Hopefully they have one in stock. I'm not going to pay $60.00+for shipping.

thanks for your input.

I have a 2 ton arbor press similar to the Harbor Freight one you are discussing and find it very adequate for my needs providing I use an extension bar and crank it down nice and hard. The down side is that the press needs to be VERY firmly anchored to the bench... yup, I turned mine over lol!

Ray