Hello everyone,

I built this OWB Browning Hi Power holster for practice this week to test out some of the modifications I made to my pattern, and I found a few things to tweak. I also found out that I can't freehand the stitch groove around the gun and need to go back to using my template like I did on my first holster. This one is also made of 7-9oz horsehide, hand stitched with black artificial sinew, and dyed with Cordovan dye. What do you guys think?

w0ovas.jpg

Thanks for looking!

~Noah

Hello everyone,

I built this OWB Browning Hi Power holster for practice this week to test out some of the modifications I made to my pattern, and I found a few things to tweak.

Is there any particular reason why you made the front belt loop a separate component?

The one advantage I can think of is that it would allow you to keep the body of the holster standard while adjusting the angle with different front pieces.

What size are the belt slots? or are they sized to fit the pattern? They look pretty long, most holsters are sized to the belt they will be worn on to avoid movement during the draw. Molding looks pretty good, you might try rubbing the wrinkles out of the bottom of the triggerguard during the molding process, but I've never worked with horse so I don't know if that will have the same effect it would with cowhide. Overall, for #2 I like it!

Edited by dmr400

Is there any particular reason why you made the front belt loop a separate component?

The one advantage I can think of is that it would allow you to keep the body of the holster standard while adjusting the angle with different front pieces.

Part of it is exactly what you said, and the other part is that it was the design requested for my first holster, and I just modified that pattern a bit. Also, I don't really like pancake holsters :P

What size are the belt slots? or are they sized to fit the pattern? They look pretty long, most holsters are sized to the belt they will be worn on to avoid movement during the draw. Molding looks pretty good, you might try rubbing the wrinkles out of the bottom of the triggerguard during the molding process, but I've never worked with horse so I don't know if that will have the same effect it would with cowhide. Overall, for #2 I like it!

They will fit up to a 2" belt. On my first holster I sized them to fit the belt that it would be worn on, but since I just made this for practice and for anybody who wants it, I decided I would go up to 2" so it can fit on a duty belt if necessary. For any holsters that are ordered I will be making the slots to fit for the exact reason you mentioned. As for the wrinkles--yeah, those are stuck there, I tried to get them out already :P