On a western style belt, I believe I can do all the necessary work except for sewing the cartridge loops. This appears very tedious to me. I only hand stitch. Do any of you have any tricks or tips for doing this? Thanks, Greg

Edited by gregintenn

On a western style belt, I believe I can do all the necessary work except for sewing the cartridge loops. This appears very tedious to me. I only hand stitch. Do any of you have any tricks or tips for doing this? Thanks, Greg

I much prefer Will Ghormley's suggestion: you use a bag punch to make an oblong oval shaped hole, the loop comes up through that hole, then back down through that same hole, . . . making a loop that holds a cartridge. Make another bag punch hole, . . . pull the strap up through it and back down again through the same hole, . . . you now have two cartridge loops.

Use 4/5 oz leather for your loops, . . . cut all your holes first, . . . they are spaced at the diameter of the cartridge plus two thicknesses of leather. When you start looping, you need a half box of the ammo it will carry. Put the first loop in, pull it tight around the cartridge, . . . put in the second loop, . . . pull it tight around the cartridge. Don't start this process until you have fully soaked that piece of strap leather in very warm water. Leave the cartridges in the loops until you have finished all the looping. I usually leave them in for another half hour or so, as I am in no hurry when we have gotten this far.

It makes a really tight cartridge belt, . . . and the owner can flex it to suit his own taste of how easy he wants his cartridges to come out by simply twisting the cartridge in the loop a bit until it gets where HE wants the flexibility to be. Anchor each end of the strap with a rivet.

Oh, . . . yeah, . . . in case you haven't figured it out, . . . not one stitch in this whole process.

May God bless,

Dwight

'Morning, What Dwight says, that's how I have done all of mine for years. Simple, looks good, and lasts. Here's a pic of one for a custom Vaquero in .45 Colt I did about a year ago. Horizontal cross draw with sewn on holster. 'Taint my cup o tea....but the customer loves it. Mike

P.S. I also only hand stitch too.

005-1.jpg

Here's one I did at least 30 years ago.....long enough to not remember who it was for or what gun the thing was. The pic is a digital taken of an old 35mm print.

001-12.jpg

Edited by katsass

I knew you guys would come through for me! Thanks. One could sew the two ends of the cartridge loop strap if they so desired, right?

I knew you guys would come through for me! Thanks. One could sew the two ends of the cartridge loop strap if they so desired, right?

Absolutely........you could even do a little decorative goody on the ends of the strip, add one hole on each end, expose the tips and do some decorative stitching. Mike

I would not have the faintest idea of why you would do that, . . . unless you fear the whole thing unraveling or something. If it is properly done, . . . the nearest a stitch should come to the loops would be the stitching along the top of the belt.

I also make my gunbelts double layer, usually 7/8 leather, contact cemented together, and the loops only go through the outside piece, . . . leaving the liner completely smooth and clean. The loops are also cemented, . . . and don't move, . . . period.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight, I think he was wanting to sew so he could forgo the rivets, an idea that also occured to me. Personally, I just don't like the looks of them. If I could think of a way to sew belt ends and still be able to change the buckle I'd toss all my chicago screws too, but I think those are a necessary evil :) Anyway, I think it would look pretty neat with a sewn arrowhead style ending on the back, with just the stitching showing through the front (Not punching an extra hole and bringing the strap to the front of the belt). What do you guys think?

Dwight, I think he was wanting to sew so he could forgo the rivets, an idea that also occured to me. Personally, I just don't like the looks of them. If I could think of a way to sew belt ends and still be able to change the buckle I'd toss all my chicago screws too, but I think those are a necessary evil smile.gif Anyway, I think it would look pretty neat with a sewn arrowhead style ending on the back, with just the stitching showing through the front (Not punching an extra hole and bringing the strap to the front of the belt). What do you guys think?

I agree with Andy on this one. Rivets are fine for some applications, but stitching would be just fine for securing the strap ends. On a belt a fancy stitch pattern would be easy to do and would add a nice touch to the overall appearance.

I recently completed an order for a customized Ruger .476 Linebaugh consisting of a Threepersons-style holster, belt, and cartridge slide. The slide carries five of the huge .476 cartridges and was constructed with the method discussed (slots cut for each loop, strap pushed through and wrapping around each cartridge), but I sewed the strap ends and cut them flush with the outer edges of the cartridge slide. I'll try to post some photos of that rig soon.

I agree with Andy on this one. Rivets are fine for some applications, but stitching would be just fine for securing the strap ends. On a belt a fancy stitch pattern would be easy to do and would add a nice touch to the overall appearance.

I recently completed an order for a customized Ruger .476 Linebaugh consisting of a Threepersons-style holster, belt, and cartridge slide. The slide carries five of the huge .476 cartridges and was constructed with the method discussed (slots cut for each loop, strap pushed through and wrapping around each cartridge), but I sewed the strap ends and cut them flush with the outer edges of the cartridge slide. I'll try to post some photos of that rig soon.

gregintenn: With the quality of Lobo's work, and his designs, ...........listen to the man. Mike

gregintenn: With the quality of Lobo's work, and his designs, ...........listen to the man. Mike

Yep, . . . got that one right, . . .

When I read the post, . . . I envisioned gregintenn sewing each loop together as it came through the hole, . . . just goes to prove that even without glasses it sometimes isn't easy to read what is written.

Stitching on each end could be most appropriate, . . . depending on what look was desired.

May God bless,

Dwight

Yep, . . . got that one right, . . .

When I read the post, . . . I envisioned gregintenn sewing each loop together as it came through the hole, . . . just goes to prove that even without glasses it sometimes isn't easy to read what is written.

Stitching on each end could be most appropriate, . . . depending on what look was desired.

May God bless,

Dwight

Yeah. I meant the ends. I'm not a fan of rivets.

Here is a photo of the set I refered to above. You can see the single line of stitching on the cartridge slide where the loops are terminated at the end. On a belt there will be plenty of additional room to get creative with the stitching.

post-7487-127695038991_thumb.jpg

Looks good, Lobo. I want to make some of those cartridge holders for high powered rifle cartridges as well. I like the way that one looks.

Hey guys , do you have the same problem as I do ... after punching the holes in thick leather with the bag punch they are widening up towards the surface , like ... V ?

Only the behind of the belt has that 1/8" oblong slot topside slot being much wider.

Do you have the punch sides reshaped or what is the way to get the slots formed straight ... well , at least not so wide on a top .

( My idea to try is to moist the areas between slots and bone them flat with the boner , sounds any good ??)

JR

Edited by JackRabbit

Answering to my own question :

Yes , the boning works .

My buddy had asked me to make a cartridge slide for spare ammo for his .38 .

Today when back home I took a strap of thick leather and drew the lines for punching the holes for a ammo slide and taking the bag punch I whacked a row of slots into leather .

Got the V - shaped slots as usual ...but then I moistened the areas between the slots , then boned them to re-flatten the leather for straightening the V's into I I - shaped slots.

Went just fine .

I dryed the leather with the warm-air blower and did the weaved loops for 38 Specials .

Had very neat and TIGHT loops all the way .

JR