Denise

Thumbs.db

Recently files with this name have been showing up in my files in My Pictures. They are usually only a few kb in size. When I click on them, there is no picture, but the Spybot Search and Destroy window comes up and checks them out, then says "nothing found". What are these files and why are they there? Where did they come from? Can I safely delete them or will I mess up all my pictures if I do so?

Thanks for your help. (Some days, I think disconnecting from the internet would be a good idea...)

This is the short version copied from a HUGE list of file extensions. If you care to, you can read more ('til you get LOST in there) at FILExt.

The DB file type is primarily associated with 'Windows' by Microsoft Corporation. File is THUMBS.DB. If a folder is set to display thumbnails for graphic files this is the file where they are stored. If you delete the file Windows will rebuild it the next time you visit that folder. The file is normally marked as hidden and a system file so you may have to change settings to see it. If preview thumbnails get out of sync with the actual files, just delete this file and let it be rebuilt.

Denise,

They are as stated database files but more importantly they are actually a thumbnail cache of your pictures. These allow it to preview quickly. These started showing up after we did the show hidden files to fix one of your other issues.

Regards,

Ben

Something else I don't have to worry about now! Thanks to you both.