skyblast

A Letter To Bob Tippman (Single Screw Shuttle)

The reason for this post is that I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to interpret the response from Bob Tippman regarding my email to him. Mainly, I now feel guilty that I was given a refund. Should I? Are any of you detecting some irritation/sarcasm in Bob's response? Sometimes I read it and think that he was 100% honest/kind and then sometimes I read and feel that he is pissed off? Have any of you experienced any issues with the "single screw" shuttle?

Should I have complained about this shuttle? Do I have a leg to stand on here? I was told in a 10 minute phone conversation that I would not be getting a refund do to the fact that 1000's of single screw shuttle are out there and that they seem to be working fine for most. I accepted this and figured...oh well, can't win em all. Then unexpectedly Bob Tippman emailed me back....

In the end I guess no matter what I consider the Tippman company to be top notch. Number one they listened and second they were not obligated to do a thing for me as I was not the original purchaser and the machine is 5+ years old. I kind of wish now I could give the money back...

I did already bring this up with a service guy and apparently he is looking into my situation.

Last night I broke a piece off of my shuttle. I was trying my darndest to adjust the tension arm on the shuttle because I simply was not getting any kind of tension on the bobbin string. I figured tweaking it a bit was my only alternative.

This morning I called and spoke to someone about ordering a new part. The gentlemen I spoke to indicated that the "one screw" shuttle set up (the type I have) was faulty and that for some reason it was loosing tension over time. He also explained that they were hoping to have everyone call in to order the new two screw shuttle to replace the one screw shuttles.

This sounds very much to me like a recall. For a machine that is supposed to be virtually indestructible I would certainly not expect the shuttle to loose tension over a short period of time. The individual I purchased this machine from told me that he had only used it a limited number of times. I am guessing he had been having issues with tension also...hence the reason for selling it to me?

In my small holster business if a customer informed me that a snap or rivet had gone bad on their holster I certainly would not be charging them for replacement. I would view this as a faulty part and send them a replacement free of charge. When this has happened to me in the past I even covered the customers shipping both ways.

In closing, I am having a hard time trying figure out why I am being charged for what appears to be a defective part.

I did already place an order and pay for the part. I am however looking for reimbursement.

Thank you very much for hearing me out.

Sincerely,

Tim Ostrander

Holland Holster Co. (A one man operation) :)

P.S. At some point I am looking into purchasing one of your embossers. Tired of doing it by hand.

Timothy-

The machine comes with a one year warranty. There are other major brands selling their sewing machines with the exact same shuttle that you have. 5 years ago, I found a new source for the shuttles and have been very happy with them. However, I understand your frustration, and will replace the 5+ year old shuttle at no cost to you and it will ship out tomorrow. Please accept this as my way of saying welcome to the Tippmann family. I hope that you enjoy many good years of our service and make lots of money off our machinery. Have a great day!

Thanks <br clear="all"> Bob Tippmann

Tippmann Industrial Products

Cell: (260) 409-1936

Toll Free: (866) 286-8046

bob@tippmannindustrial.com

Edited by skyblast

I usually have a good BS detector...Now that said, the only thing I can detect is kindness in the letter from Bob. I hope this helps:-)

Skyblast,

Sounds to me like a business man giving excellent service to a disgruntled (however politely) customer. He is pointing out the industry standard and what he had promised, and then said that he would go over and above that. The e-mail sounded good to me. Go for the embosser!

Sounds to me like you may be a little frustrated at one of his machines and might be taking that frustration out on Bob. The man doesn't know you from Adam, you buy one of his machines (at a lower price from someone else) because YOU have researched it and want it. You tried adjusting a part in a way that the part was NOT intended to be adjusted and you BROKE it. Most people would charge you FULL PRICE to replace a part that YOU broke, however, Bob is merely explaining his position regarding the part. On top of that, he is going to REPLACE the part YOU broke for FREE!

He's willing to GIVE you a part to fix a 5+ year old machine that YOU bought from SOMEONE ELSE that YOU BROKE, and you think HE is being unreasonable? If I were you, I'd be adding Bob Tippman to your Christmas Card list this year AND tell everyone you know how fairly and professionally Bob Tippman treated you when you had a MAJOR problem!!

Tim,

I have always found dealing with Tippman staff one of the easiest to deal w/ and kinda think you are using Leatherworker as your bitching spot, grow up.

Bob has Never shown anything genuine top notch customer service, to my face ,on the phone,or on the web.

PS: I noticed you had you had question on you machine around the ninth of this month. (So I would guess you broke the part.)

Edited by knockout

I think that you are dealing with a good person and you should be very thankful

to Bob Tippmann.

I also think you should get to know your sewing machine better........

If someone from the company said the part was faulty, why is it skyblast's fault that it broke when he )?) tried to adjust it? I don't think they were being sarcastic thought. Something being industry standard doesn't mean it's a good part. Perhaps some one could help with the problem.

SkipJ

I've dealt with Tippmann since the '80s in the Paintball industry. In the fairness category, they have always come down on my side. I've returned guns that look like they have been piddled on and run over by a truck and got them back brand new. All they have ever asked from me is to tell them what happened.

I think you have been pushing the envelope expectation wise. When you bust something, you should expect to pay for a new one, you broke a part that has been working in those machines (and quite a few others I might add, at much higher speeds) for decades. Someone makes those shuttles for Tippmann, and Tippmann sure had to pay for it. Now you are complaining because you got it for free?

Art

The reason for this post is that I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to interpret the response from Bob Tippman regarding my email to him. Mainly, I now feel guilty that I was given a refund. Should I? Are any of you detecting some irritation/sarcasm in Bob's response? Sometimes I read it and think that he was 100% honest/kind and then sometimes I read and feel that he is pissed off? Have any of you experienced any issues with the "single screw" shuttle?

Should I have complained about this shuttle? Do I have a leg to stand on here? I was told in a 10 minute phone conversation that I would not be getting a refund do to the fact that 1000's of single screw shuttle are out there and that they seem to be working fine for most. I accepted this and figured...oh well, can't win em all. Then unexpectedly Bob Tippman emailed me back....

In the end I guess no matter what I consider the Tippman company to be top notch. Number one they listened and second they were not obligated to do a thing for me as I was not the original purchaser and the machine is 5+ years old. I kind of wish now I could give the money back...

I did already bring this up with a service guy and apparently he is looking into my situation.

Last night I broke a piece off of my shuttle. I was trying my darndest to adjust the tension arm on the shuttle because I simply was not getting any kind of tension on the bobbin string. I figured tweaking it a bit was my only alternative.

This morning I called and spoke to someone about ordering a new part. The gentlemen I spoke to indicated that the "one screw" shuttle set up (the type I have) was faulty and that for some reason it was loosing tension over time. He also explained that they were hoping to have everyone call in to order the new two screw shuttle to replace the one screw shuttles.

This sounds very much to me like a recall. For a machine that is supposed to be virtually indestructible I would certainly not expect the shuttle to loose tension over a short period of time. The individual I purchased this machine from told me that he had only used it a limited number of times. I am guessing he had been having issues with tension also...hence the reason for selling it to me?

In my small holster business if a customer informed me that a snap or rivet had gone bad on their holster I certainly would not be charging them for replacement. I would view this as a faulty part and send them a replacement free of charge. When this has happened to me in the past I even covered the customers shipping both ways.

In closing, I am having a hard time trying figure out why I am being charged for what appears to be a defective part.

I did already place an order and pay for the part. I am however looking for reimbursement.

Thank you very much for hearing me out.

Sincerely,

Tim Ostrander

Holland Holster Co. (A one man operation) :)

P.S. At some point I am looking into purchasing one of your embossers. Tired of doing it by hand.

Timothy-

The machine comes with a one year warranty. There are other major brands selling their sewing machines with the exact same shuttle that you have. 5 years ago, I found a new source for the shuttles and have been very happy with them. However, I understand your frustration, and will replace the 5+ year old shuttle at no cost to you and it will ship out tomorrow. Please accept this as my way of saying welcome to the Tippmann family. I hope that you enjoy many good years of our service and make lots of money off our machinery. Have a great day!

Thanks <br clear="all"> Bob Tippmann

Tippmann Industrial Products

Cell: (260) 409-1936

Toll Free: (866) 286-8046

bob@tippmannindustrial.com

The tensioning mechanism, is a wearing part, they all wear a groove where the thread is pinched and you should expect to replace the shuttle over time. Bob's e-mail is service above and beyond any obligation he has to a customer. Shame more companies don't work the same way, and it's because it's such a good response that you think there has to be a catch. I know it's hard to believe sometimes, there are still nice people out there, Nice one Tippmann

Mike

I've dealt with Tippmann since the '80s in the Paintball industry. In the fairness category, they have always come down on my side. I've returned guns that look like they have been piddled on and run over by a truck and got them back brand new. All they have ever asked from me is to tell them what happened.

I think you have been pushing the envelope expectation wise. When you bust something, you should expect to pay for a new one, you broke a part that has been working in those machines (and quite a few others I might add, at much higher speeds) for decades. Someone makes those shuttles for Tippmann, and Tippmann sure had to pay for it. Now you are complaining because you got it for free?

Art

It looks as though I am clearly in the wrong in this situation.

To:TroyS

PLEASE UNDERSTAND I WAS ONLY MESSING WITH THE TENSION ARM BECAUSE MY MACHINE WAS GETTING ZERO TENSION. ACCORDING TO A TIPPMAN REPRESENTATIVE THE ONE SCREW SHUTTLES WERE FAULTY...THIS CAME DIRECTLY FROM THE HORSE'S MOUTH.

Once I was told this, I really felt like the part should have been recalled. Hence, why should I have to pay for it?

I now understand having talked to couple different individuals at Tippman that the shuttle is a wear and tear item and the fact that mine lost tension is normal. This I can accept. I really wish that I would have spoken one of these two guys in the beginning.

That said, I called Tippman this morning and paid for the shuttle.

Edited by skyblast

skyblast,

I applaud your paying for the shuttle once you understood the problem better. There is always a learning curve with anything new in life. When we are in the middle of a problem, things aren't very clear sometimes. I think both you and Tippmans have treated each other very well once the communication and understanding was complete. Here's to a long term working relationship!cheers.gif

skyblast,

I applaud your paying for the shuttle once you understood the problem better. There is always a learning curve with anything new in life. When we are in the middle of a problem, things aren't very clear sometimes. I think both you and Tippmans have treated each other very well once the communication and understanding was complete. Here's to a long term working relationship!cheers.gif

Thanks Denise. Wow, what a learning situation for me this has been for me.

It looks as though I am clearly in the wrong in this situation.

To:TroyS

PLEASE UNDERSTAND I WAS ONLY MESSING WITH THE TENSION ARM BECAUSE MY MACHINE WAS GETTING ZERO TENSION. ACCORDING TO A TIPPMAN REPRESENTATIVE THE ONE SCREW SHUTTLES WERE FAULTY...THIS CAME DIRECTLY FROM THE HORSE'S MOUTH.

Once I was told this, I really felt like the part should have been recalled. Hence, why should I have to pay for it?

I now understand having talked to couple different individuals at Tippman that the shuttle is a wear and tear item and the fact that mine lost tension is normal. This I can accept. I really wish that I would have spoken one of these two guys in the beginning.

That said, I called Tippman this morning and paid for the shuttle.

A RECALL involves an item that puts you at risk. Recalled toy because of CHOKING HAZARD. Recalled Ford because of possible FIRE HAZARD. That being said, YOU just earned a whole lot of respect in my book!

Sounds like Bob Tippman is a good buss'man and all round great person.. we are luckly to have such people in our lndustry....

For me it was never about money it was about principal. I broke the part, I called to get a new one without a thought of getting it for free. Then I get a Tippman rep telling me, "the one screw shuttles are faulty and that for some reason they seem to be loosing tension over time." He said this at least twice and kept repeating it's not you, it's not you. He then told me they were hoping to someday get the one screw shuttles out of circulation. After I had paid I starting thinking about what he had said. I told them how I felt, they issued me a refund. The only reason I posted the two emails on this forum was to see if Bob was somehow irritated with me. Hard to tell in emails sometimes. I also posted to see if others were having issues with their one screw shuttles. I never thought I would get ripped so badly...WHICH I DESERVED!!

What did I learn? One, I broke it. Once I broke it all justifications for whether or not the part is faulty goes out the window. You break it you buy it. End of story. I had NO right asking for anything. Maybe they might want me to mail the part in so they could test it themselves? Not that they would but they deserve that right. Me breaking it takes that option away from them. Two, I just need to shut my mouth and be happy Tippman exists. Amen? Amen!!!

Edited by skyblast