RustyMelton

Sheridan Style Cue Case

Here's a few pictures of a case I finished up a while back and I thought I'd show some pictures of it. I thought it turned out pretty nice but I'd love to hear what all of you think of it.

008-5.jpg027-1.jpg

023.jpg

010-2.jpg

Wow - that's beautiful! If I owned a case like that, I'd probably start playing pool!

I think that was qualifies as a "Humdinger"!

Tell us a little about the construction and dyework.

Does the compass point/cross have any specific meaning?

Nice work, Rusty! Is it for you, a friend or a customer? I like the good brass hardware you used too.

Johanna

really nice work there....the colors make it really stand out.

Thanks particle, I appreciate it. I've been working a lot lately and just wish I had a little free time to play.

rdb,thanks for the compliment! I used 8-9oz. leather for the body of it, 9-10 on the lid and 5-6 on the pocket. I used some bontex inside the pocket to stiffen them up and I covered the bontex with pigskin to make the inside on the pocket a little nicer. I sewed one of the seams up the back of the case with my machine and I reached up inside and used a saddle stitch on the second seam to close the back of it up. Both the lid and the bottom I hand sew on. Its all wrapped around pvc tubes that are lined with material. The dye is just Feibings light brown with just a little medium in it and reduced down. I put some clear lac on it used lt. brown antique paste. The center part really doesn't have any meaning to it. I wanted to break up the pattern I thought I'd use a diamond in the center and put something in it and that's what I ended with.

Thanks a bunch Johanna! I'm a fan of the solid brass hardware too. I made this for a customer that's off at sea in the navy, it's the first of two that I'm doing for him. The second I'm hoping to finish up tonight.

Thanks King's X I appreciate it. I had a really nice piece of herman oak to work with and I was happy with the way it took the color.

Edited by RustyMelton

Nice job Rusty. I'll bet that kept you busy for a while!

Looks like time well spent!

What a masterpiece! I love the color, and the carved pattern complements the case well. Congrats!

Pretty Sneaky Rusty! Your win percentage at the pool table will be sure to go up since your opponents will be so occupied slobbering over your case that their game will have to suffer. Just looking at it, I would place it in the top ten of all the cue cases I've ever seen - and I've seen many thousands. Very well done!

Thanks Casey, it did take me a while about 2 weeks, I'm as slow as they come.

Thanks abn, I appreciate it!

I wish it was mine Wyoming but it was made for someone. I've got one that I'm doing in the little bit of spare time that I have and it's all mine! I'm doing the body of it with some really nice black ostrich with a tooled panel up the back. Thanks for your nice comment, I appreciate it.

Man, that is absolutely gorgeous work! I cannot imagine how much time/effort went into this piece, but it is outstanding to say the least. Beautiful.

I like that case!

Beautiful case!

I'd love to be buried in a case like that! Stunning! Was it a commission of favor? If commercial, what did you charge if I may ask? Whatever it was it's far less than it's worth!

Thanks!

Bob

I wouldn't take that beautiful case to a pool room. I would be more worried about the case then I would be the sticks.