dmr400

Buckaroo Bedroll

Not a whole lot of leather on this, but thought it might stir some memories or good stories. I used a bedroll similar to this growing up around ranches in Eastern Oregon as a kid, and since I am going to spend this summer on the desert and in the woods as much as possible (missed the last 2 summers, government sponsored trip to Iraq) I decided it was time to make myself one. They aren't made to be light, historically using at least 5 or 6 blankets or quilts(usually 2 to 1: 2 below you for every one on top since you lose more heat into the ground). I went a little more modern, with 2 foam pads and 2 flannel sleeping bags, even though I usually only use one. The extra bag makes good padding, and nice to have just in case it gets really cold, which it can do in a heartbeat in the high desert. In the old days this was a buckaroos home on the range, with extra clothes, tools, weapons, even cooking gear rolled up inside it with his sleeping gear. The top is left long enough that when it rains you can just pull it over your head (if you didn't know, these are seldom used in tents, they work best under a starry desert sky! smile.gif )

I incorporated a couple of changes that I thought would be nice into this one.

1.) Clips that will anchor the storm flap down, so you can leave your camp without weighting down the storm flap if you think it might rain or be dusty.

2.) The storm flap is actually a large pocket (left the top twice as long as actually needed, made a quick hem at the top, folded it over, and sewed down the edges), so you can throw your pants, jacket, phone, etc inside it to keep the dew off of them after you go to bed. You can also pack your clothes in it, saves a duffel bag.

These covers are nice because you can do lots of things with them. Add or subtract sleeping bags based on the weather (or even make them up with sheets and blankets like my dad did). You don't need as good a sleeping bag either, since you gain insulation from the canvas and the cover keeps water out, so you don't have to invest in a waterproof sleeping bag. I actually prefer the less expensive flannel lined bags. The cover also takes all the abuse and dirt, so even the cheaper sleeping bags last forever. Anyway, here it is. Anyone else use one, make them, have good memories they would like to share?

Oh, even though the last picture shows it open completely (so people can see how simple it is), I usually just loosen the cross ties to the last hole (even open the top one completely if its warm and dry) and crawl in bed, no reason to let the dew or creepy crawlies in. There is a third cross tie not visible under the storm flap at the top about where your chin would go. It's best to unroll and open during the day if you can though, just to let the moisture from your perspiration or breath dry out.

Rolled.jpg

UnrolledClosed.jpg

unrolledclosedsideview.jpg

Open.jpg

One more picture, so it's a little clearer how it is put together. You can kinda see the seam of the pocket in this one.

Opentied.jpg

Edited by dmr400

DMR

Very nice job and without a doubt the best way to sleep comforatably when out, now for the fall you just need a 4 post teepee. In the fall we use to have bedrolls and teepees to stay in, the teepees had a little vent in the top and we would sometimes leave the coleman lanterns hanging in the top burning for a little extra heat. did not know any better at the time its amazing none of us were ever noticably effected by the the exhaust from this.

You are correct this brings back memories, It makes me realize how nice it is to sleep in a bed at night year round.

Dink

I make mine like your dad with sheets, easier to clean that way.. With enought blankets I've kept warm with it twenty below in the morning.

Profile1a.jpg

Sure enjoyed the pictures and post. I'm getting right long in the tooth but still maintain and use my hot roll.

Like you, I reckon I,m getting a littlesoft around the edges, got a 2" foam pad in mine. Helps an old

punchers back.