arbalet12

The Kazakh Saddles

Wow!!! Very cool!

Where did these pictures come from?

I'm very intrigued with the saddle that shows the curvature of the bar in the back. This indicates that they were aware of the need to get a horse to bend in the rib cage. These are some great examples of saddles designed for the Jineta a style of riding.

David Genadek

Wow!!! Very cool!

Where did these pictures come from?

I'm very intrigued with the saddle that shows the curvature of the bar in the back. This indicates that they were aware of the need to get a horse to bend in the rib cage. These are some great examples of saddles designed for the Jineta a style of riding.

David Genadek

Photographed in the state museum of Kazakhstan, Almaty.

Thank you for sharing those.

When do they date from?

Thank you for sharing those.

When do they date from?

19 century

According to some folks who have been there recently, the saddles used in this part of the world still closely resemble the ones in these photos. Did you happen to see any saddles in use while there?

David

yes, the saddles that the Kazakh falconers in Altai in Mongolia use are still very similar to these. Not all of them are as ornate due to financial concerns, but they are extremely well suited to riding long distances or in very ( and I mean VERY) steep terrain with a golden eagle on your arm. I would love to buy one, but even there they are not easy to find. any ideas?

Beautiful stuff there. The superficial resemblance to the Moorish/Hispanic tradition is interesting. I wonder if these are an example of converging design or direct influence?