Sign in to follow this  
emsnut

Custom Leather Buisness

I am starting my own custom leather working buisness "Raven Leather Worx". If there is any advise that anyone would like to share on how to make this process easier or some tips and tricks please chime in. Any advice would be greatful. I am only going to do it for custom work ex. holsters, wallets, saddle bags... Things that I can do in my free time. Not looking to make a career out of it at this point. I have two wonderful jobs as it is, Emergancy dispatcher and work in a gun store. So it is just a one project a week kind of thing. But I am wanting to buy wholesale and be able to mark my work down but still make a profit to be able to build up my inventory. And maybe get a sewing machine later on. Thanks to all who have helped me so far. I am so glad I found this forum.

Michael

I have a tax id here in VA, and it gets me the business prices at Tandy, which significantly reduces my cost. Works for me.

My suggestion

DON'T SELL YOURSELF CHEEP!!!

best of luck,

My suggestion

DON'T SELL YOURSELF CHEEP!!!

And wherever possible, get your money upfront!

And wherever possible, get your money upfront!

Thank you so very much everyone. I was thinking on doing at least half up front, to cover cost of matirals. But thanks for all the help.

I am starting my own custom leather working buisness "Raven Leather Worx". If there is any advise that anyone would like to share on how to make this process easier or some tips and tricks please chime in. Any advice would be greatful. I am only going to do it for custom work ex. holsters, wallets, saddle bags... Things that I can do in my free time. Not looking to make a career out of it at this point. I have two wonderful jobs as it is, Emergancy dispatcher and work in a gun store. So it is just a one project a week kind of thing. But I am wanting to buy wholesale and be able to mark my work down but still make a profit to be able to build up my inventory. And maybe get a sewing machine later on. Thanks to all who have helped me so far. I am so glad I found this forum.

Michael

Michael

If you are going to have a business do your self a favor and run it like one. I'm new to the leather business but not new to being self employed. In fact I've been self employed almost all my adult life, and at 61 I'm no spring chicken.

Most people who have a hobby they love and try to turn it into a business fail. It can ruin something you love if not properly run.

First, don't be afraid to ask for money!! Rememer you don't need the work you need the money. If the money is not important to you give your work away and do all of the rest of us a favor and don't start a business.

Second, know your cost!! Most people could not tell you what it truly cost to produce what they make. Materials, equipment, hand tools , lights etc. If you ever hope to make a full time job or have a business to sell, you have to know what it costs to operate.

Third, know what your competion is doing and how much they get. Not hard, just ask they will tell you. We all want affirmation and acceptance but that dosen't pay the bills. A bird in hand is wirth two in the bush!! I would rather turn inventory over than sit around looking at something and wondering why it won't sell. This is hard to do when you have poured your blood and sweat into something ( I usually bleed when working in my shop, or anywhere else!! ). You will need the money to be able to have more inventory of something that you know will sell.

Fouth, time is money!! Keep track of how long it take to make something. Takes less time to make twenty than one. We all would love to have that job were we could take all the time we wanted and people would be willing to pay large sums of cash for our work, doen't work that way in the real world, for 99.9 percent of us anyway. We make tack for a couple of companys. They embelish and resale it. We handle alot of material, I've learned alot about leather in a short period of time. We also do custom work and have some products we sell. I've learned to do the stuff thats not to fun FAST!! Gives more time for the fun stuff. All of us who have livved long enough have learned to take the good with the bad and be ok with it. I think they call that maturity. Really I love it all. My shop is warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Can't beat that.

I know this sounds kind of harsh, hey what do they say about good intentions and going to Hell!! Don't ever give up on your dreams but when you've left the table at the end of the day, count the money!! Hope this helps, it not just ignore this old geazer!!

Best to you, Jim

Hi... You mentioned "sewing machine" in your post.... In my opinion, that would be one of the smartest things you could do. There are tax advantages to buying a new machine, plus it will actually enable you to make money on things that you might not have been able to do that with before. It will also open doors of opportunity for you as time passes. And by the way, use good leather when possible... it can make a big difference in your workmanship, and can help you to justify a higher price. Best wishes! :)

Kevin

Michael

If you are going to have a business do your self a favor and run it like one. I'm new to the leather business but not new to being self employed. In fact I've been self employed almost all my adult life, and at 61 I'm no spring chicken.

Most people who have a hobby they love and try to turn it into a business fail. It can ruin something you love if not properly run.

First, don't be afraid to ask for money!! Rememer you don't need the work you need the money. If the money is not important to you give your work away and do all of the rest of us a favor and don't start a business.

Second, know your cost!! Most people could not tell you what it truly cost to produce what they make. Materials, equipment, hand tools , lights etc. If you ever hope to make a full time job or have a business to sell, you have to know what it costs to operate.

Third, know what your competion is doing and how much they get. Not hard, just ask they will tell you. We all want affirmation and acceptance but that dosen't pay the bills. A bird in hand is wirth two in the bush!! I would rather turn inventory over than sit around looking at something and wondering why it won't sell. This is hard to do when you have poured your blood and sweat into something ( I usually bleed when working in my shop, or anywhere else!! ). You will need the money to be able to have more inventory of something that you know will sell.

Fouth, time is money!! Keep track of how long it take to make something. Takes less time to make twenty than one. We all would love to have that job were we could take all the time we wanted and people would be willing to pay large sums of cash for our work, doen't work that way in the real world, for 99.9 percent of us anyway. We make tack for a couple of companys. They embelish and resale it. We handle alot of material, I've learned alot about leather in a short period of time. We also do custom work and have some products we sell. I've learned to do the stuff thats not to fun FAST!! Gives more time for the fun stuff. All of us who have livved long enough have learned to take the good with the bad and be ok with it. I think they call that maturity. Really I love it all. My shop is warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Can't beat that.

I know this sounds kind of harsh, hey what do they say about good intentions and going to Hell!! Don't ever give up on your dreams but when you've left the table at the end of the day, count the money!! Hope this helps, it not just ignore this old geazer!!

Best to you, Jim

Jim,

That's "excellent" info right there!! Thanks for sharing that. I'm 51 years old and have always worked for someone else. Professionally, I'm a computer systems engineer but my love is working with my hands. I've done electrical work, plumbing, house framing, roofing, vinyl siding, painting, small engine repair, landscaping, woodworking / custom furniture, and woodturning as all side lines. I've tried running my woodworking as a business once and I sucked at it. Where I live, people want/expect real nice custom pieces at Walmart prices. I get that all the time. The last custom piece I did for a lady...I sat and calculated up my total cost of making that piece (to include my time) and I averaged $1.17 per hour.

So to add to what Jim has tossed in here.....location can make a huge difference on your possible market as well as affect your selling price point.

I still suck at running a business and I closed it all down. Now I'm back to woodworking for family and friends when time permits. I've always admired leather work and my curiosity has gotten the best of me...which is why I'm getting into and learning leather work. I have 2 teenagers (out of 4 kids) that are here at home and are interested in leather work to make stuff for themselves and to make stuff to sell.

I have a LOT to learn and I'll keep working the day job to help support my hobbies, but I can at least teach my kids from the mistakes I've made in hopes that they find the right combination to be able to run their own business one day...if that's what they dream to do.

I have a tax id here in VA, and it gets me the business prices at Tandy, which significantly reduces my cost. Works for me.

It's very easy to get a tax id number. If you're going to get a custom stamp and sell your stuff to strangers, you might as well get an id number. Keep good records and you might even be able to land a small business loan or grant for that sewing machine.

My main problem with my "hobby business" is I'm a terrible employee. I never show up on time, sometime never even show up, I tend to do projects and steps that are fun while procrastinating on things that aren't. Today was my day off, and I cut about 6 wallet backs out, then I spent the whole day out bike riding and hanging out at a coffee shop, then watched a movie. Didn't even get to cutting out any wallet guts.