Sign in to follow this  
Billy H

Reshaping The Ground Seat On A Saddle Already Built

Hello,

Lots of experience on this forum, I have really enjoyed reading and looking at all the posting on saddles.

I have a crazy question---- Is it possible to reshape a ground seat on a saddle that is already built?

I am asking because I built my first saddle and after 15 rides or so I think I could have shaped the seat better.

As soon as I figure out how to add a picture I will add that to this post. Thanks Billy

Yes it would be possible, but it won't be easy. You'll need to pull the seat off to do a good job of it. Then depending on what needs done go back to working on it and then put it back together. What is it you think needs to be done to improve it? Chris

Billy,

After I field tested my first saddle I had to go back and reshape the ground seat. If you check some of the previous posts most rookies do not carve enough out of the ground seat. Mine was to high in the front and not leveled off enough in the rear. I had ridden it a year before I bit the bullet and redid it. I soaked the seat with water as much as possible, even though I had oiled with neats foot oil, to soften up the leather. This helped to keep from getting that cracked look all over as you pry it off. My contact cement job turned out more than adequite. I used thin nails to line up my cantle stitch holes as I put it back together and was able to sew everything through the same holes. I plugged the the fork screw holes in the tree with carved pine sticks and glue, used the same hole through the seat. I used the same latigo string holes. If the adjustment is only needed in the front you maybe able to just roll the seat back tie it up and carve out what you need. Might as well figure it's a used repaired saddle after you get done. My rides much nicer now and was well worth doing over.

Ben

Ben and Chris,

Thanks for your responses!

I kinda figured that I may have asked a really dumb question for the lack of a response until today.

Over all I am pretty happy with the saddle. Ben I think that you are right on target with what I could have improved on.

!. Just a little to much rise and the rise to far back in the seat

2. Maybe a little to round where the pin bones sit.

First couple of hours the saddle feels ok but as the ride goes on I start to feel the pin bone area.

The rise is not a ball buster just think I could improve on it.

Thanks for your thoughts, maybe my 9 year old can show me how to post a picture!