Wizcrafts

The Type Of Sewing Machine You Need To Sew Leather

Hi sewing machine experts, I'm looking to buy my first real leather sewing machine. I already have a 29K, but I'm looking for something, that will handle thicker leather, make longer stitches and use a heavier thread. I'll mostly be making leather accessories such as bags, but would like to use as heavy a thread as possible.

I'm only a hobbyist at the moment with limited experience with leather sewing machines (I've used different sewing machines for textile quite a bit), so I don't have a fortune to spend and options are scarce here in Denmark. I have however come across two machines, that seem useable, but I would like your opinion, ideas, recommendations on either of the two.

First option is a Singer 7-25 and my second option is a Singer 132k6

Basically they both cost the same, so I haven't got a personal preference, so whatever you guys recommend, I'll follow your advice.

I'm hoping some good advice here. Thanks.

Hi sewing machine experts, I'm looking to buy my first real leather sewing machine. I already have a 29K, but I'm looking for something, that will handle thicker leather, make longer stitches and use a heavier thread. I'll mostly be making leather accessories such as bags, but would like to use as heavy a thread as possible.

First option is a Singer 7-25 and my second option is a Singer 132k6

I'm hoping some good advice here. Thanks.

Neither of those machines has been produced in a very long time. The 7-25 is very ancient and you may have a hard time finding any parts for it, should it need any. Parts for the Singer 132k6 may be available from former Singer industrial sewing machine dealers.

I once had a 132k6 and found it to be an excellent machine for sewing thick buffing wheels and nylon webbing projects. It was so-so on leather, due to the sometimes unpredictable snap action of the spring foot. If you can tame the spring foot, the 132k6 can stitch as long as 2 to the inch (12.5 mm), with #277 thread, into no more than 1/2 inch of leather, webbing, or cloth. Feed is via bottom feed dog and a spring loaded snap-forward outer foot that follows the top layer as it moves back. If the spring snaps forward too soon, stitch length varies all over the place. This happened to me when I tried to edge stitch belts that had been polished with Carnauba creme, or glossy wax.

You would be better served with a modern, still in production, walking foot machine with triple feed and a large bobbin. Most of these machines can sew 3/8 inch (10 mm) of leather, with up to #207 bonded thread, using a #24 leather point needle.

Neither of those machines has been produced in a very long time. The 7-25 is very ancient and you may have a hard time finding any parts for it, should it need any. Parts for the Singer 132k6 may be available from former Singer industrial sewing machine dealers.

I once had a 132k6 and found it to be an excellent machine for sewing thick buffing wheels and nylon webbing projects. It was so-so on leather, due to the sometimes unpredictable snap action of the spring foot. If you can tame the spring foot, the 132k6 can stitch as long as 2 to the inch (12.5 mm), with #277 thread, into no more than 1/2 inch of leather, webbing, or cloth. Feed is via bottom feed dog and a spring loaded snap-forward outer foot that follows the top layer as it moves back. If the spring snaps forward too soon, stitch length varies all over the place. This happened to me when I tried to edge stitch belts that had been polished with Carnauba creme, or glossy wax.

You would be better served with a modern, still in production, walking foot machine with triple feed and a large bobbin. Most of these machines can sew 3/8 inch (10 mm) of leather, with up to #207 bonded thread, using a #24 leather point needle.

Hi Wizcrafts, just the answer I was hoping. Well sort of. The problem is, that these modern machines aren't readily available in Denmark, meaning I would have them shipped from either Germany or the UK. Making it super expensive. Therefore I have to keep searching for some old machines.

Do you know anything about the 7-25? From what I can understand it was used for making harness.

Thanks for your thorough response.

Hi Wizcrafts, just the answer I was hoping. Well sort of. The problem is, that these modern machines aren't readily available in Denmark, meaning I would have them shipped from either Germany or the UK. Making it super expensive. Therefore I have to keep searching for some old machines.

Do you know anything about the 7-25? From what I can understand it was used for making harness.

Thanks for your thorough response.

No, I don't. You should start a new topic and ask for other members who might know about that machine. This topic is for general information about types of machines for sewing leather, not specifics about any particular make or model (although it sometimes gets that way).

Wizcrafts

How I wish i had one found this site 3 yrs ago and read what ive just drooled over for the last 2 hours your knowledge on machines is overwhelming and i will have to reread it all again to take some more in.

I in thinking when i first started would i needed a machine so thru some ill call bad advice purchsed a boss (im told im the only person who had a boss replaced ever) the replacement lasted 6 months with me before i sold it on ebay and waved farewell to all its headaches.

A manual machine was very very wrong for me being disabled i had horrible problems holding my leather and working a hand crank.

Im about to start hunting an electric machine in a month or two and thanks to your advice here will infulence that purchase.

A question that is troubling me is the thickness that the electric machines can muster ive seen 3/8s 7/8s and 3/4s thrown around frequently. My norm is using 8-9 oz leather, tripled at worst. Which would best suite the daily use?

know you probably said this already sorry its a whole lot to take in in one sitting.Especially when youve gone down that wrong road once before.

Thank You

Joe

Wizcrafts

How I wish i had one found this site 3 yrs ago and read what ive just drooled over for the last 2 hours your knowledge on machines is overwhelming and i will have to reread it all again to take some more in.

I in thinking when i first started would i needed a machine so thru some ill call bad advice purchsed a boss (im told im the only person who had a boss replaced ever) the replacement lasted 6 months with me before i sold it on ebay and waved farewell to all its headaches.

A manual machine was very very wrong for me being disabled i had horrible problems holding my leather and working a hand crank.

Im about to start hunting an electric machine in a month or two and thanks to your advice here will infulence that purchase.

A question that is troubling me is the thickness that the electric machines can muster ive seen 3/8s 7/8s and 3/4s thrown around frequently. My norm is using 8-9 oz leather, tripled at worst. Which would best suite the daily use?

know you probably said this already sorry its a whole lot to take in in one sitting.Especially when youve gone down that wrong road once before.

Thank You

Joe

Please post your questions as a new topic on the forum. You will get all kinds of answers from our sewing members.

Hi Wiz,

You're the OP, do you want me to close it?

Art

Please post your questions as a new topic on the forum. You will get all kinds of answers from our sewing members.

Hi Wiz,

You're the OP, do you want me to close it?

Art

Wait until I have time to review what all I've posted in this huge topic. I want to make sure there is nothing I left out that would be relevant to the topic.

I'll let you know if/when to lock this topic.

Till then I'll try to steer new posters into starting their own topics.

Hi Wiz,

There is a lot of good info in here, but perhaps you would want to consolidate that into a new topic which we could pin and lock down right away. There is so much back and forth in here that it might be just a little too much for someone to find the info they need so they just start asking questions.

Let me know,

Art

Wait until I have time to review what all I've posted in this huge topic. I want to make sure there is nothing I left out that would be relevant to the topic.

I'll let you know if/when to lock this topic.

Till then I'll try to steer new posters into starting their own topics.

Art;

That sounds like a good plan. I will work on it this weekend. I have to go make holsters and sew stuff today.

Catch you later on...

Thanks Wiz! We've got 8 pages here, and a lot of good info sprinkled throughout, but this is overwhelming for someone who is new at this. If you write it, we'll pin it, you betcha!

Johanna

(makes fresh coffee and turns up the music for Wiz)