BevJones

Chaps and elastic

Help. I have been asked by several people to make chaps in ultra suede as it is lighter for summer western pleasure show people.

Secondly, they are asking for elastic inserts to be sewn in along the zipper to allow a better fit and some give.

I am having trouble finding an ultra suede supplier. Any recommendations?

Lastly, I can find elastic wide enough for the inserts, however it stretches the wrong way (waist to foot). I need something long to sew along the zipper length, but needs to stretch from thigh front to back. Would you call that a width wide stretch rather than a length stretch?

Any help as to where I can find the ultra suede (found a supplier in WI for $79 a yard that is 55" wide) and especially elastic, would be helpful.

Bev

Hi Bev-

Did you try a google search for ultrasuede (one word). There seems to be a pretty long list of companies. One was DenverFabrics.com. I am not sure if what they have is exactly what you are looking for. As for the elastic - got me. Did you try a local sewing shop or store?

Crystal

Hi Bev,

My wife sews and for elastic she gets hers from Jo-Ann fabric and Hancock Fabrics, both are sewing shops. Also, you might want to try Wal-Mart, they have sewing stuff as well.

Good luck!

Jeff

I have tried the sewing shops. The elastic they carry stretches lengthwise. I need elastic that is long to follow the zipper down the leg, but it needs to stretch not down the leg (direction of zipper), but width wise, so if they gain weight and their thigh gets larger, the material will stretch (from front to back of thigh). Rather than cut many sections and sew together, I know they make elastic that will do this, but I can't find who sells it, period, let alone a small business.

ultrasuede shouldnt be a problem to find. like eveyone else has said, larger fabric stores should have it. If you plan on buying alot, i would look online.

As far as our elastic, i have been looking for a couple years for the same material. however, the only one i know that has/uses is Ariet. i have repaired several half chaps with the elastic materil just like you and i want. I however, dont know where they get it from and or if its possible to buy any.

i was looking at some girdle material, but to me its too light duty. If however, you were to double it up, it maybe strong enough to handle the task.

good luck on your quest.

Hey, how about lycra stretch fabric. You can get it in heavy weight (not the thin bathing suit stuff) and it has a 4 way stretch

You might try contacting Hobby Horse and inquiring if the elastic material they use is available commercially or if they have a private supplier. Let me know if you find it as I have been looking for it too!!

Ryan

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I will try to contact Ariat and Hobby Horse and see if I have any luck. If I do, I will let you know. I also like the heavy duty stretch Lycra idea and will check into that as well. Hancock Fabrics has ultra suede at 19.99 a yard. I'm going to look at it tomorrow to see if it is as good as Ultra Suede's brand which they quoted me as 79.00 a yard. Big price diff, well see about the quality.

bev

Would an Ace bandage work?

Hmmm, I'll have to check that out.....

hey Bev. i do ultrasuede chaps i get. look at the suitability site it has the patterns n list of suppliers, as for the elastic i have same problem finding. I do have elastic wide enough just for the thigh area which is about 6 inches wide. i put inserts in the biker chaps. n they like it n it helps but not the length of the chaps. the ultrasueds i havent put any elastic in them. there is also a place i just found out about i the cities ther ultrasued runs about 19.99 the place i get mine from is 40.00 yd an it escapes me now the name. lol (sometimers) hope yhis helps some. Bronc

So I found this old topic and hoping to revive it in attempts to find an answer. I would also like to sew in a stretch piece into my chaps and can't find the right elastic or fabric for it. Anyone ever solve this?

So I found this old topic and hoping to revive it in attempts to find an answer. I would also like to sew in a stretch piece into my chaps and can't find the right elastic or fabric for it. Anyone ever solve this?

I've been trying to find that elastic for ten years now. I think Ariat has it made for them. I do alot of repairs and alterations. Could make way more money!

https://www.abbeyengland.com/chap-boot-elastic-50cm-wide-2980.html

CHAP / BOOT ELASTIC 50CM WIDE

SKU 
D206
As low as £30.00
Colour 
                                      Choose an Option...Black - 38 In StockBrown - 22 In Stock
Min Sale Qty. 1 unit(s)
Unit of measure is M