some recent rodeo chaps, two adult and one youth. comment or criticism welcome.

Chad_Chaps.jpg

Pink_Justin_Hart.jpg

post-2367-1208919999_thumb.jpg

post-2367-1208920116_thumb.jpg

Very nice work dink. Looking good.

Sorry

A second post, could only get two pictures per post? but still please feel free to comment or critisize

Palen_Chaps.jpg

post-2367-1208920390_thumb.jpg

That is a great design, cool crosses and fringe.

I have a question:

When you do appliques like the scrolls on the bottom, do you use an adhesive to hold them in place while you sew? If so, what do you use?

Ian

Yes I glue them before stitching. I use either Barge Cement or Masters leather cement. I prefer the masters only because it sets-up faster

I have a question:

When you do appliques like the scrolls on the bottom, do you use an adhesive to hold them in place while you sew? If so, what do you use?

Ian

I see someone is TOUGH ENOUGH TO WEAR PINK!! Look purty shiney Dink.

Dink,

Elton's comment on "TOUGH ENOUGH TO WEAR PINK" made me chuckle.

Overall these are nice designs and a couple of nice variations on your yoke designs in breaking them up into panels . I like the tri-panel designs on the yokes. I also like the clicked cross panels for the bleed knots. I've seen those before and you have made a good pair of theme chaps with them.

The majority of the stitching looks great. Double stitching even around the areas that aren't filigreed or overlaid is a nice touch. It appears as though the back portion of the belt was lined. The pink one definitely looked like that, Is that correct? I liked the contrasting stripes on the back belts as well......nice.

You are definitely doing some good work on these. Here's a couple of suggesions for possible consideration.

Some of these suggestions are rather slight. On the cross chaps it appears as though the sweep for the crotch is squared off but that may be the picture itself.

Symmetry

I fret greatly over overlays when they are used on chaps, boots or anything else. Most likely I go overboard on the details of these overlays. When you look for symmetrical lines and offsets you see that some of the inside curves on the overlays are not free flowing. Some of them are abrupt in that you notice a transition (a small straight portion). French curves are the best examples that I can think of for free flowing curves and scrollwork. A couple of places the 2nd overlay isn't a perfect offset of the bottom overlay curve.

The overlay of the cross at the bottom appears to be slightly lop-sided.

Strap Work

The one thing that struck me was the strap work. The edges need to be finished and dyed. I couldn't tell if you were using an oval punch for the buckle holes but that would also be nice. The billet tips could benefit from the use of a punch to standardize them and also so that you could quickly make them. It appears as though you were going for something near an English point. Using a single edge creaser could further refine the strap work. My personal preference on rivets is not to use the "star" rivets. They always appear to be less finished or lower quality. A rivet that appears finished on both sides would be a better choice in my opinion. For the same reason that saddlemakers fret over polishing and doming copper rivets. That last little attention to detail goes a long ways in the perception of quality of the product.

I really like the rounded bottom corners for chaps especially when you use fringe and overlays because the transition of the side to bottom fringe is more gradually and less abrupt than the square bottoms.....just my personal preference.

Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Ben

Those are beautiful sets. My wife loves the pink and my fav is the brown set in the same post. Thanks for showing these.

These are beautiful. Hubby has been on to me to try to make him a rough pair to put over his shorts so he can ride. Where did you get your pattern? Thanks Linda

I make most of my patterns. I had one taken from a pair of my old chaps and have just continued to modify it through time. I could help you come up with one if you need.

These are beautiful. Hubby has been on to me to try to make him a rough pair to put over his shorts so he can ride. Where did you get your pattern? Thanks Linda

Ben

Thanks for your insight. Tough I do have cross shaped clicker dies these were actually hand cut, since they needed to be smaller than my cross die, that is why I went with the rounded ends it was easier to use a end punch than try to cut detailed ends by hand.

For the belt lining you mentioned Is not really a lining I cut my belts double wide then fold them to meet in the center of the belt, then I add the othe colr strip of leather to cover the seem.

You are right about finished edges and the rivets I used on the straps. to finish them and use a rivet cap would look better without a doubt. The only reason I do not do that is that these guys are frequently gettinig there chaps stepped on and leg straps either broke or tore off so I leave them in the most easily repairable shape and with bronc riders I rarley use saddle strings. (like the brown ititialed ones) sine they worry most about the leg stayng tight in the swells I always send them extra straps and conchos.

You are sure correct to about the sweep in the crotch (the cross chaps), They wanted these chaps made a little big for some growing room, I initially thought if I squared this one i could set the buckle at a little more angle to pull the leg up and tighter while they were in the little to big range. But that did not work very well and I do not like it very much myself. It should have been redone but the customer was not worried and elected to take them as they were.

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment, I think at times a person can get intent on the detail and totally miss the obvious. Your comments and helpful, correct and will be used. You can see some of my other chaps and projects at www.prorodeooriginals.com

Dink

Dink,

Elton's comment on "TOUGH ENOUGH TO WEAR PINK" made me chuckle.

Overall these are nice designs and a couple of nice variations on your yoke designs in breaking them up into panels . I like the tri-panel designs on the yokes. I also like the clicked cross panels for the bleed knots. I've seen those before and you have made a good pair of theme chaps with them.

The majority of the stitching looks great. Double stitching even around the areas that aren't filigreed or overlaid is a nice touch. It appears as though the back portion of the belt was lined. The pink one definitely looked like that, Is that correct? I liked the contrasting stripes on the back belts as well......nice.

You are definitely doing some good work on these. Here's a couple of suggesions for possible consideration.

Some of these suggestions are rather slight. On the cross chaps it appears as though the sweep for the crotch is squared off but that may be the picture itself.

Symmetry

I fret greatly over overlays when they are used on chaps, boots or anything else. Most likely I go overboard on the details of these overlays. When you look for symmetrical lines and offsets you see that some of the inside curves on the overlays are not free flowing. Some of them are abrupt in that you notice a transition (a small straight portion). French curves are the best examples that I can think of for free flowing curves and scrollwork. A couple of places the 2nd overlay isn't a perfect offset of the bottom overlay curve.

The overlay of the cross at the bottom appears to be slightly lop-sided.

Strap Work

The one thing that struck me was the strap work. The edges need to be finished and dyed. I couldn't tell if you were using an oval punch for the buckle holes but that would also be nice. The billet tips could benefit from the use of a punch to standardize them and also so that you could quickly make them. It appears as though you were going for something near an English point. Using a single edge creaser could further refine the strap work. My personal preference on rivets is not to use the "star" rivets. They always appear to be less finished or lower quality. A rivet that appears finished on both sides would be a better choice in my opinion. For the same reason that saddlemakers fret over polishing and doming copper rivets. That last little attention to detail goes a long ways in the perception of quality of the product.

I really like the rounded bottom corners for chaps especially when you use fringe and overlays because the transition of the side to bottom fringe is more gradually and less abrupt than the square bottoms.....just my personal preference.

Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Ben

I'll chime in and say that I agree to some degree with Ben on the symetry issue, although those metalics are slippery to deal with, but the squared bottoms are whats "in" right now, at least up here in the north. I think yours look great.

I have to agree with Dink totally on the strap finishing part of it. After building chaps for 14 years and never finishing the edges of my straps, I am not about to start. I skive the ends down a fair bit where I rivet mine on (using #12 copper) on purpose so that the strap will tear out in a wreck rather than the body of the chaps ripping. I have changed lots of straps but have never had to try to patch a torn leg...(yet) I do however use an oval drive punch.

Dink here's a little something you might want to try in the future. I sometimes use spray on contact on my overlays. If you lay them on about 5 minutes after they have been sprayed they will have enough tack to allow you to stitch them on without having the chance of stray glue on the underlays. We all know how tough that can be to get off without fudging the finish on the metallics.

Square bottoms have become the norm in the rodeo chap business for quite a while for me. They are way easier to cut out and in turn make a little more money on.

Don't wanna sound like a know it all so I'll shut up now!!

I have to agree with Dink totally on the strap finishing part of it. After building chaps for 14 years and never finishing the edges of my straps, I am not about to start. I skive the ends down a fair bit where I rivet mine on (using #12 copper) on purpose so that the strap will tear out in a wreck rather than the body of the chaps ripping. I have changed lots of straps but have never had to try to patch a torn leg...(yet) I do however use an oval drive punch.

Dink here's a little something you might want to try in the future. I sometimes use spray on contact on my overlays. If you lay them on about 5 minutes after they have been sprayed they will have enough tack to allow you to stitch them on without having the chance of stray glue on the underlays. We all know how tough that can be to get off without fudging the finish on the metallics.

Square bottoms have become the norm in the rodeo chap business for quite a while for me. They are way easier to cut out and in turn make a little more money on.

Don't wanna sound like a know it all so I'll shut up now!!

Elton,

Agree wholeheartedly with the skiving of the strap to prevent leg tear out. The 3M contact spray works extremely well just like it does with upholstery leather. As far as the finish of the straps.....that's just my preference just like a rounded corner. You can take it for what it's worth - someone else's opinion.

Dink,

I will certainly take a look at your site. With all my negative comments I still liked your designs a lot. Great idea for detail and productionizing the belts with the fold over design with the color strip on top!

On that note I will likewise shut up since I sounded like a know-it-all. Sorry!

Regards,

Ben

Sorry. I read into it a little wrong. I edge my straps just don't burnish them. I also use an english point on the ends.

Edited by Elton Joorisity

Sorry. I read into it a little wrong. I edge my straps just don't burnish them. I also use an english point on the ends.

No worries..... We all do things differently! Acquiring different techniques is what this forum is about. We call this benchmarking or stealing shamelessly. Thsi place makes it much easier than it was 20-30 years ago to acquire information that can impact our work.

Regards,

Ben

Hi Dink,

I love the chaps with the crosses. As the "shopper" of the group, is there a price tag on those and do you make chinks?

Very, Very nice, Dink!

My days of rodeo are far past but I sure like to see nice work.

Incidently I figure I'd add my two cents regarding the pink pair. I've known some tough gals who could darn well wear anything they wished. Thirty years ago my dad worked for the U.S. Forest Service and he hired his first woman fire fighter. The crew messed with her for the first few days until they asked her to go bring them the old horseshoeing anvil. She walked over, picked it up with one hand and tucked it under her arm and marched right over to them. They (the guys who were the cool, pretty boy college types nailing down a summer job) didn,t bother her after that and she returned to the crew every summer for many years. Some of the toughest people I've known have been women. :spoton:

Sounds like a woman that I would not want to mess with, plus I would want her on my side at all time. This sounds like a woman I wold refer to as mam. Though I would be lying to you if I told these were made for a woman.

Dink

Very, Very nice, Dink!

My days of rodeo are far past but I sure like to see nice work.

Incidently I figure I'd add my two cents regarding the pink pair. I've known some tough gals who could darn well wear anything they wished. Thirty years ago my dad worked for the U.S. Forest Service and he hired his first woman fire fighter. The crew messed with her for the first few days until they asked her to go bring them the old horseshoeing anvil. She walked over, picked it up with one hand and tucked it under her arm and marched right over to them. They (the guys who were the cool, pretty boy college types nailing down a summer job) didn,t bother her after that and she returned to the crew every summer for many years. Some of the toughest people I've known have been women. :spoton:

Hey Dink,

I guess in that case "Don't ask, Don't tell" applys. :rofl: Just take the money and make the goods. (Sorry, Couldn't resist after this mornings topic in saddle constrction.)

Edited by grumpyguy

The "Tough Enough To Wear Pink" comment I made was a referral to Wrangler's program that donates money to breast cancer research. Most big rodeos have a designated "pink" night and competitors and fans alike show up adorned in pink shirts.

The "Tough Enough To Wear Pink" comment I made was a referral to Wrangler's program that donates money to breast cancer research. Most big rodeos have a designated "pink" night and competitors and fans alike show up adorned in pink shirts.

Very familiar with the "Tough Enough to Wear Pink" program but what me chuckle is that it takes a "pink" cancer campaign to make men wear pink. Rodeos aren't the only events that have a designated "pink" night.

Regards,

Ben

I have not been around rodeo for sometime and had no idea what the slogan meant. I would not want to offend anyone and cancer of any sort is not a laughing matter. I'm glad to see serious efforts by the Wrangler and the PRCA contestants to support research for these particular cancer victims. That however does not change the the chaps were well made and excellently executed!