Hi Everybody,

It's been a while since I've posted any tooling projects. Here is the top to a fitted box I'm making for my Son. The way I came up with this design is, that I looked at several designs, drew up some parts,,, changed some things,,, threw that away,,, re-drew it, with changes,,, After that,,, this is what I came up with. Of course, after finishing the tooling, oiling, dying, & finishing,,, I see things I'd like to do differently. Oh well,,,, hehehe

The box itself, is about a 1/2" bigger than the top. It will hold a 20oz Maul, 12-15 basic stamping tools, & 2 swivel knives. It's going to be a Christmas present, so hopefully I'll get it done in time. Once I get it all done, I will put some pictures on here. Thanks for looking. Ed the"BearMan"

post-7175-127991462431_thumb.jpg

post-7175-127991463925_thumb.jpg

post-7175-127991465521_thumb.jpg

Thanks Daniel, & Ben,

I don't know if I'm going to incorperate any "Secret" compartments into this box, but that's something I usually do. But it will have at least a couple things that flip up, or fold out. Here are a couple pictures of a box I made a few years ago. It has 2 false bottoms inside that can only be operated, with a special magnet, in the exact area. It took my Son about 3 hours, to get both compartments open. Ed the"Bearman"

post-7175-127994075632_thumb.jpg

post-7175-1279940783_thumb.jpg

Really nice work Ed!

Question- do you use sheridan or regular bevelers? They look like regular with great depth but don't have any "hashmarks" along the edges like some sheridan bevelers do. Or do you have some really steep bevelers that are smooth?

By the way- I LOVE my new maul.

thanks again

pete

oh- and what type and number bar grounder did you use?

Edited by pete

Hi Pete,

The bevelers I use, are some I made. They are a Sheridan style, Curved,,, with the steeper angle, but, with the heal rounded off, so that they don't leave that hashmark you mentioned. It took me a while to get used to using curved bevelers,,, now I use them pretty much all the time. From what I've been told, they are very similar, albeit, a lot cruder version of Bob Beards bevelers. The very best ones on the market is Bob Beards, but Barry King makes some nice ones also. The bargrounders I used on this was Barry Kings, I don't remember what size.

I do use steep smooth bevelers sometimes also, but mostly on figure carving types of things. I'm glad you like the Maul so much! Take Care,,, Ed

P.S. Before you ask,,, I'm not really interested in making any bevelers to sell,,,

post-7175-127999716868_thumb.jpg

post-7175-127999719102_thumb.jpg

post-7175-12799972218_thumb.jpg

What did you do to get the even spacing on your bevelers?

Thanks Daniel, & Ben,

I don't know if I'm going to incorperate any "Secret" compartments into this box, but that's something I usually do. But it will have at least a couple things that flip up, or fold out. Here are a couple pictures of a box I made a few years ago. It has 2 false bottoms inside that can only be operated, with a special magnet, in the exact area. It took my Son about 3 hours, to get both compartments open. Ed the"Bearman"

....Fine looking box.. nice stack of 20's in there also... :rofl: