billcurley

Help Me Find A Machine Please....

I am just about at my wits end with my Singer 19 51, it won't sew soft leathers, does fine for everything else, but doesn't like suede. I have been told that Juki makes one of the best machines, but what model?? should I be looking for a "chainstitch" or "lockstitch" machine? And where might I find a used one, I'm on a very tight budget and can't afford a new machine. There are soo many different brands and models on the market it is difficult to figure out what is going to be my best option. Both of the leatherworkers that I have come in contact with use Juki machines and swear by them but I haven't been able to get back in touch with them to ask their opinions on this. I am in the Northern virginia area so if there is some place close that would be a great help. I'm sure there are a lot of used machines out there, just where to find one??

Thanks in advance for anyone's input. I am primarily sewing four to five layers of 1.5 to 2 oz leather glued up to make guitar straps and such.

I am just about at my wits end with my Singer 19 51, it won't sew soft leathers, does fine for everything else, but doesn't like suede. I have been told that Juki makes one of the best machines, but what model?? should I be looking for a "chainstitch" or "lockstitch" machine? And where might I find a used one, I'm on a very tight budget and can't afford a new machine. There are soo many different brands and models on the market it is difficult to figure out what is going to be my best option. Both of the leatherworkers that I have come in contact with use Juki machines and swear by them but I haven't been able to get back in touch with them to ask their opinions on this. I am in the Northern virginia area so if there is some place close that would be a great help. I'm sure there are a lot of used machines out there, just where to find one??

Thanks in advance for anyone's input. I am primarily sewing four to five layers of 1.5 to 2 oz leather glued up to make guitar straps and such.

Why don't you give Bob Kovar a call, at Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. His number is: 866-362-7397. Tell him what you want to sew and the thread size you intend to use and he will find a machine to fit your budget.

You are going to want either a roller foot machine or a walking foot machine. Since you intend to sew suede, you'll be able to use a set of walking foot pressor feet with teeth on the bottom. Actually, ask Bob about his portable walking foot machine. It just may do exactly what you are hoping for, at a very reasonable price. Just don't expect a portable to also sew dense belt leather, without modification.

Here's Ferdco's address http://www.ferdco.com/ . Their a Juki dealer and are super nice folks to boot. In the list on the left where it says swap board their are few Juki machines for sale by private parties. I have a Juki machine and love it.

Hi Bill, If I were you, I would call all of the sewing machine dealers and talk to them. Gather as much information as you can get, then make your decision. Thanks, Steve