8thsinner

Lead Dust Supplier Desperately Needed

Just got a new customer last night that wants a 6 foot bull whip made thats weighted.

So I need to find lead dust fast, and it can't be just regular lead shot, I need the fine stuff as she is paying premium.

Can someone please recommend me a supplier, I have tried a few leather places and i tried search here but nothing came up.

UK would be best and I need enough to do two whips

Any idea how much I would need?

If you can't find the dust, maybe try grinding some up? Or try melting some down.

I honestly dont think that item exist.but what do i know,

this i do know , i would use very small Shotgun Shot.

Edited by Luke Hatley

If you look around you may be able to find some number 12 (.050 dia) shotgun shot. Be careful if you grind up your own, wear a respirator, not a dust mask. Lead is an ingestion/breathing hazard. How much do you need? I have a friend who has reclaimed a lot of lead from shooting ranges, and he ends up with a dust that floats on the lead, so it is not quite as heavy, but it is heavy.

We need at least 150 millilitres worth, ideally 300.

Just got a new customer last night that wants a 6 foot bull whip made thats weighted.

So I need to find lead dust fast, and it can't be just regular lead shot, I need the fine stuff as she is paying premium.

Can someone please recommend me a supplier, I have tried a few leather places and i tried search here but nothing came up.

UK would be best and I need enough to do two whips

Any idea how much I would need?

You need to find someone that sells reloading supplies. You are looking for bird shot for the .357 magnum pistol round.

this I believe is the closest you will get to "lead powder". Of course this is a long shot to find what you need.

Toss a post on www.iforgeiron.com there are a lot of smiths in the UK that post regularly that may be able to help you out.

golf suppliers carry lead dust and lead strips for weighting under the turkshead.

Lead dust scares the heck out of me. Tungsten is a safer alternative and is 1.7 times more dense than lead. You can buy tungston at any hobby shop that sells pinewood derby supplies. Here is one supplier: http://www.pinewoodp...weight-sets.htm This site also has a tungsten putty which I thought was pretty cool.

John

Edited by Jaymack

Lead dust scares the heck out of me. Tungsten is a safer alternative and is 1.7 times more dense than lead. You can buy tungston at any hobby shop that sells pinewood derby supplies. Here is one supplier: http://www.pinewoodp...weight-sets.htm This site also has a tungsten putty which I thought was pretty cool.

John

the problem with using tungsten for whips is that it's not as soft as lead which can cause the whip to not have a good flex.

Valid point drac, But I am thinking about using it to see.

I found this place

http://www.gamolagolf.co.uk/acatalog/Tungsten_Powder.html

And I am thinking of trying it, it has obvious safety benefits and is more eco friendly.

It's not as soft but you would not need as much either as it is heavier which means I can make a much more dense braid in a smaller space.

The problem would become that I spent 5 hours designing this whip based on lead, using tungsten will reduce the dimensions and I will have to start all over again....grr

If there are no other suggestions I will be ordering this stuff in a few hours.

I don't know by weight how much I need, I measured lead out before by volume.

Should I get two tubs or one?

Never heard of w a weighted whip before, where does the lead go?

Never heard of w a weighted whip before, where does the lead go?

depends on what type of whip. snakewhips and signal whips have a shotbag for the core that's filled and goes most of the length. some bullwhips are weighted and the shotbag for those goes about 2/3 to 4/5 the length.

Seems that it would make it harder to whip with the extra weight? I had a cheap whip I bought years ago at a tourist area, and got to where I could snap it pretty good. Always figured you just needed tip speed to get the snap. What purpose does that added weight have?

Seems that it would make it harder to whip with the extra weight? I had a cheap whip I bought years ago at a tourist area, and got to where I could snap it pretty good. Always figured you just needed tip speed to get the snap. What purpose does that added weight have?

adding weight (up to a point) requires less work to crack it and it rolls out smoother and straighter (very important for target cracking) with a quality made one.

Thanks, now I know.

I have been searching for powdered lead also. I have found this supplier that will sell any amount requested. http://www.espimetals.com/index.php The kicker is you need a account with them and I dont have a tax number to create an account. If there is anyone in the U.S(preferably the south east) with a business license that would be willing to put together an order. Please contact me. I would like a couple kilograms.

Edit: they have 2 sizes. 100 and 350 mesh.

Edited by Joe M

Edited by busted

I have been searching for powdered lead also. I have found this supplier that will sell any amount requested. http://www.espimetals.com/index.php The kicker is you need a account with them and I dont have a tax number to create an account. If there is anyone in the U.S(preferably the south east) with a business license that would be willing to put together an order. Please contact me. I would like a couple kilograms.

Edit: they have 2 sizes. 100 and 350 mesh.

These guys might be able to help.

http://micronmetals....ds/lead/pb-100?