ktoddmc

Imprinting Latigo Leather

I work a lot with latigo leather for dog collars, leashes, etc.. I continue to get request to personalize the items with the names of the dogs. I have read that you can not stamp latigo. Is there a cost effective way to personalize latigo. This is what I have come across so far:

Laser Engraving- high cost and may not lend to long term results

Branding- If I have to buy numerous irons, this will not be cost effective

Woodburning- Tried this once. My freehand is not that great and I won't make an item for someone if I don't like it and I feel I have high standards. (if I make it- I would be proud to have it)

I even experimented with a Dremel Tool and woodcarving knives and the results were not good.

I am just completing a 4 hour search for an answer and that is about all the patience I have at this point.

ANYBODY HAVE ANY ECONOMICAL IDEAS THAT WORK????? Your help would be GREATLY appreciated!

yes..have a Brass Plate engraved for the customer. then rivet it onto the collar.

I work a lot with latigo leather for dog collars, leashes, etc.. I continue to get request to personalize the items with the names of the dogs. I have read that you can not stamp latigo. Is there a cost effective way to personalize latigo. This is what I have come across so far:

Laser Engraving- high cost and may not lend to long term results

Branding- If I have to buy numerous irons, this will not be cost effective

Woodburning- Tried this once. My freehand is not that great and I won't make an item for someone if I don't like it and I feel I have high standards. (if I make it- I would be proud to have it)

I even experimented with a Dremel Tool and woodcarving knives and the results were not good.

I am just completing a 4 hour search for an answer and that is about all the patience I have at this point.

ANYBODY HAVE ANY ECONOMICAL IDEAS THAT WORK????? Your help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Mr. Hatley is correct, engrave a brass plate with the name on it and rivet it to the collar. Latigo does not like stamping

Either that or change the type of leather you make your dog collars from.

Edited by busted

Years ago I found a bible store closing, in a small west texas town.. they had a gold leaf printing thing,,,,it's a branding iron with a type set for letters,,,,works great ,

regards .. Doc ..

Thanks Charlie I'll give it a go.

It says the letters fit all their hot tools. I would assume any of the hot tools would work, it depends what package you want to get. Some come with different design tips with them for decorative ideas.

charlie