Rastus

Singer 138W102

I recently traded for a Singer 138W102. It's on a singer table with a three phase motor. Any and all info for this machine will be greatly appreciated. Its seems to be in good shape but I don't have three phase power.

What is it worth if it's in good working order? I assume it will be good for chink/leggins and belts etc??? Thank You guys for help.

That is a post machine, with either a roller or walking foot mechanism. They are built to sew hats, shoe uppers and moccasins. You will be limited to using #69 nylon thread, tops. I don't recommend this type of machine for belts, or anything requiring a true straight sewing edge, as they don't have a means of attaching a normal edge guide.

You can buy a gear reduction 300 watt, 110 volt servo motor for it from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines: 800-362-7397. Measure the belt on the existing motor, then add two inches to the replacement belt, for the servo motor, which has a 2" pulley. They also have replacement parts, needles and bobbins. Alternately, buy a 110 volt, 1/2 HP clutch motor.

Thank You for the information. Any idea what a working one might be worth?

That is a post machine, with either a roller or walking foot mechanism. They are built to sew hats, shoe uppers and moccasins. You will be limited to using #69 nylon thread, tops. I don't recommend this type of machine for belts, or anything requiring a true straight sewing edge, as they don't have a means of attaching a normal edge guide.

You can buy a gear reduction 300 watt, 110 volt servo motor for it from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines: 800-362-7397. Measure the belt on the existing motor, then add two inches to the replacement belt, for the servo motor, which has a 2" pulley. They also have replacement parts, needles and bobbins. Alternately, buy a 110 volt, 1/2 HP clutch motor.

You can also get a phase converter , or use a jack motor to run it off of single phase at home.

I would recommend a rotary type converter, as opposed to the static type. These generate true 3 phase power from single phase input.

A jack motor is another 3 phase motor that is as big, ort bigger in HP than the machines motor, You essentially wire the machine through this second motor. Give the jack motor a pull start, and then start the machine. I have run a 18.5"X54" Monarch lathe 5HP, as well as a surface grinder 2HP, and milling machine 2HP this way. I had plenty of free 3 phase motors available, so I went that route. The one drawback of this style is that you only get 2/3 of your rated output. Example, if the machine has a 3HP motor , you can only utilize 2HP because there are only 2 hot legs powering it.

I bought a 300 watt gear reduction servo motor from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines, for $176 shipped. I ordered before 3 PM, EST, and it arrived the next afternoon. I also ordered a 2" shorter (not longer!) v-belt and I'm glad I did. The Servo motor mounts closer to the underside of the table and has a fixed 2" pulley. If the original motor pulley is 3 or more inches, you may need a 3" shorter belt with the servo motor. Tell the salesman what size belt is on the machine now and what the diameter of the pulley is.

I've never seen a 138w102 with anything but twin needles and bobbins, usually 3/32 or 1/8 gauge for shoes. You can also swap out a 1725 rpm clutch motor for $50 or less, but a servo would be better, it might have the old exposed clutch on it already.

Cleaned up and running with a smaller gauge (they could have up to 3/4 inch) maybe $300, maybe a lot less. It is not a rare bird so it's just a sewing machine.

The 138w103 had a better set of hooks and could take larger thread.

Art