Can Acetone be used in place of deglazer? I think someone told me that once.

Yes it can as can alchol, both isopropyl aka rubbing alcohol and denatured, and oxalic acid aka wood bleach.

The commercial deglazer is a mix of denatured alcohol and citric acid according to the MSDS - you can make your own with a quart of denatured alcohol and 1/8-1/4 cup pure lemon juice.

I'd start with alcohol to see if it removes the finish first. If that doesn't work then try the acetone after the alcohol dries out. Acetone is slightly more harsh on natural materials and will pull more of the color out than alcohol will.

Yes it can as can alchol, both isopropyl aka rubbing alcohol and denatured, and oxalic acid aka wood bleach.

The commercial deglazer is a mix of denatured alcohol and citric acid according to the MSDS - you can make your own with a quart of denatured alcohol and 1/8-1/4 cup pure lemon juice.

I was a Tandy today and the label said it was Ethylene Acetate or something like that. Is smelled like Toulene/Xylene and Lemon

Has anyone ever tried MEK?

Anything to that?

Tom

I use denatured alcohol. It takes care of most cleaning/deglazing jobs. Oxalic acid works better if you need to remove some stubborn stains.

I use denatured alcohol. It takes care of most cleaning/deglazing jobs. Oxalic acid works better if you need to remove some stubborn stains.

Well, I answered my own question <g>.... From Fiebings MSDS sheet:

Ingredients (Specific) %

Ethyl Acetate 70 - 90 %

Ethyl Alcohol 10 - 30 %

Tom

Ingredients (Specific) %

Ethyl Acetate 70 - 90 %

Ethyl Alcohol 10 - 30 %

Tom

Well crap, thats 120 percent :head_hurts_kr:

Ingredients (Specific) %

Ethyl Acetate 70 - 90 %

Ethyl Alcohol 10 - 30 %

Tom

20% variance in their mixture?! They must have lost their measuring cups and just eyeball it.

Well crap, thats 120 percent :head_hurts_kr:

Or 80%, deending on how you look at it.......

20% variance in their mixture?! They must have lost their measuring cups and just eyeball it.

I went back and read the whole thing and don't see anything to indicate why that range. And Fiebing's site only shows a #12 Deglazer. MAybe they had different strengths at one time or other??? Who knows....

Tom

Tom,

Ethyl Acetate is an esterfication of Acetic Acid and Ethyl Alcohol. The proper name is Acetic Acid Ethyl Ester. Since an ester is a combination (through esterfication) of an alcohol and an organic acid, we know the alcohol was Ethyl Alcohol. In the esterfied product, the targeted completion is almost always a range, with the remainder being the alcohol; the more technical the product, the more defined the range and the higher the cost.

Esterfication is a complicated process in which a high molar sulfuric or TBATB is used, you can't just mix vinegar and alcohol together and have ethyl acetate. Should be purchased, don't try to make it at home.

Art

I went back and read the whole thing and don't see anything to indicate why that range. And Fiebing's site only shows a #12 Deglazer. MAybe they had different strengths at one time or other??? Who knows....

Tom

Tom,

Ethyl Acetate is an esterfication of Acetic Acid and Ethyl Alcohol. The proper name is Acetic Acid Ethyl Ester. Since an ester is a combination (through esterfication) of an alcohol and an organic acid, we know the alcohol was Ethyl Alcohol. In the esterfied product, the targeted completion is almost always a range, with the remainder being the alcohol; the more technical the product, the more defined the range and the higher the cost.

Esterfication is a complicated process in which a high molar sulfuric or TBATB is used, you can't just mix vinegar and alcohol together and have ethyl acetate. Should be purchased, don't try to make it at home.

Art

Wow Art. Thanks for the info. I would never try to make my own. It's not that expensive. And I remember enough

Of chemistry to know better. Vinegar and baking soda comes to mind. As does never put water on or in acid. Put acid in water

Tom

Tom,

Art

Besides, I promised my wife - No more esterfication in public..... It embarasses her

Tom

I don't know, the crater where the garage was can be quite impressive to the girls.

Art

Besides, I promised my wife - No more esterfication in public..... It embarasses her

Tom