Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Gauntlet Pattern

I'm looking to make myself a pair of gauntlets. Anyone have a line on patterns for them?

I think if you hold a piece of poster board around your arm where ever you want them to go to then mark it. Make the pattern a little bigger than you really need to allow for thickness of the leather and you have your pattern. Ought to work.

I think if you hold a piece of poster board around your arm where ever you want them to go to then mark it. Or you could take a strip of leather and go around your arm where you want to start and end and make a mark on the leather and you have the top and bottom measurements. Make the paper pattern a little bigger than you really need to allow for thickness of the leather and you have your pattern. Ought to work.

Edited by dirtclod

I think if you hold a piece of poster board around your arm where ever you want them to go to then mark it. Or you could take a strip of leather and go around your arm where you want to start and end and make a mark on the leather and you have the top and bottom measurements. Make the paper pattern a little bigger than you really need to allow for thickness of the leather and you have your pattern. Ought to work.

I think you're thinking bracers- gauntlets are more like heavy gloves.

I did have things mixed up and i was thinking about the bracers. Sorry about that.

Here lots of patterns.

Awesome!! Thanks!!

I did have things mixed up and i was thinking about the bracers. Sorry about that.

No problem at all! It's pretty common. I demo basic leather working at Celtic festivals with a living history called the Renaissance Scots. People confuse the two all the time. I've actually learned to lecture about the different pieces of armor- paldrons, grieves, breastplates, etc.I'm planning a pair of grieves for my son to wear to the skate park. How cool would that be- he shows up on the half pipe one day wearing those on his legs!!

Awesome!! Thanks!!

No problem at all! It's pretty common. I demo basic leather working at Celtic festivals with a living history called the Renaissance Scots. People confuse the two all the time. I've actually learned to lecture about the different pieces of armor- paldrons, grieves, breastplates, etc.I'm planning a pair of grieves for my son to wear to the skate park. How cool would that be- he shows up on the half pipe one day wearing those on his legs!!

Greaves ;) And tooled leather ones would be pretty awesome at a skate park.

Greaves ;) And tooled leather ones would be pretty awesome at a skate park.

Oh for Gods sake. So I misspelled it. Everyone's a critic... ***Walks off grumbling***

And I still haven't found a reasonable pattern that I can use for leather!! :deadsubject: They're just big gloves...