wildrose

Needing Oak Leaves/acorns

I've been commissioned to make a small notepad cover/folio. The fellow mentioned that in Germany, oak leaves and acorns are used to symbolize a hunter. I'm guessing that's his heritage; because that's what he's after. He and his wife have not chosen ANY of the patterns I've sent thus far, however, so I'm writing hoping someone can send some my way. It shouldn't be too elaborate. The wife specifically showed me red oak leaves in a book, and according to a search I did, apparently the red oak acorns are one of the deer's favorite kinds?

Any help would be appreciated. I have a flask cover to make for him first, so I have a little time.

Tandy just put Stohlman's Personal Patterns Portfolio Pattern set one on sale. I can't testify if it's got what your looking for (I don't own it), but for $15, it might be worth a look for you.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/6057-00.aspx?feature=Product_3

I've been commissioned to make a small notepad cover/folio. The fellow mentioned that in Germany, oak leaves and acorns are used to symbolize a hunter. I'm guessing that's his heritage; because that's what he's after. He and his wife have not chosen ANY of the patterns I've sent thus far, however, so I'm writing hoping someone can send some my way. It shouldn't be too elaborate. The wife specifically showed me red oak leaves in a book, and according to a search I did, apparently the red oak acorns are one of the deer's favorite kinds?

Any help would be appreciated. I have a flask cover to make for him first, so I have a little time.

Holly,

I have the Al Stohlman book mentioned below. It has lots and lots of Oak leaf patterns, certainly they could find something they like in this book.

ferg

LOL to you both - right after I posted my request, I got my Tand-E-mail notifying me of the portfolio being on sale! How's that for timing! So I'm going to be calling Charlotte, NC, Monday morning and ordering one!

Sometimes the karma just works out right :D Hope everything works out!

Hi Holly,

Just a small note...The oak leaves looks different here in Sweden from the ones I have seen in the US, it might be the same in Germany? if you do an image search on google with this word: eklöv (oak leaf) you'll see what I mean, then it's just to pick up penn and paper and I wish you all the best of luck :-)

Thanks!

Sounds like you are spending a lot of time looking for what they want.

I would tell them-"you come up with the pattern that you like, and I will make it."

I've got the Stohlman Patterns Portfolio and also "The Mighty Oak" by George Hurst. Both are excellent resources. The Mighty Oak contains many variations on oak leaf styles, including several that are very similar to the "eklöv" style that Tina mentioned. (Looks like there must be a lot of Burr Oaks in Sweden!)

Kate

biggundoctor, that's honestly what I usually do! If the oak pattern folio were not something I could use for other items, I'd not be considering adding it to my collection. In their defense, they did bring a leaf/tree i.d. book to show me some photos of what they were after.

Looks like there must be a lot of Burr Oaks in Sweden!

Kate

To tell the truth, I don't think I have ever seen any other oaktree here ever...I even have a big one on my lot at the new house we just moved in to :-D

That's a good price!! I just bought the same book today at my local store and didn't get it for that price! :o

To tell the truth, I don't think I have ever seen any other oaktree here ever...I even have a big one on my lot at the new house we just moved in to :-D

Thats the difference between American and European oaks. American oaks have tipped leaves.

The leavetips of the European oaks are round. There are some differences in the way the acorns are placed also.

European leaves are not half as beautifull when carved on leather than the Americans ( but thats a personel opinion )

Over here we have them both, European by nature and Americans from an import, long, long time ago. ( C. Columbus???? )

Eikenblad.GIFEuropean oak (one of many sorts)

AmEikenblad.GIFAmerican oak. ( more sorts of them too.)

Sorry for the "bad" English. I'm not used to write it.

Both types of oak grow native in America . The rounded "white" type oak was here when the pilgrims landed in 1620 Native Americans in New England planted by the stages of leaf development of the white oak.

Hi Wildrose,

At my last count, there are about 15 distictively different "Oak" leaves. There are several that look very similar. Here is something I did a while back that has 9 different types of "Oak" leaves. Let me know if any of these are what You're looking for. Ed the"BearMan"

post-7175-085405300 1284036263_thumb.jpg

Nice combination of Oak leaves.