Sign in to follow this  
SnappingDragon

New Jellyfish Mask

Hi, I'm new to this forum and have thoroughly enjoyed checking out everyone's work. I thought I would share the latest leather mask that I made. This was the first time I used more than one layer of leather in a mask. I usually make masks out of 3/4 oz but I ran out so I made this one out of 7 oz thus it's a bit heavy, I don't think I'll do that again. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it

Awun

post-16374-028750600 1283410586_thumb.jp.

hello,

wow! that looks great... if i may ask... what kind/color/brand dye? (paint?) did you use? thanks...

eric

I like it! Actually, a friend of mine from PA makes masks with heavier weights like that too.

hello,

wow! that looks great... if i may ask... what kind/color/brand dye? (paint?) did you use? thanks...

eric

I used 3 colors mixed together - blue purple and green for different parts. The blue and green were eco flo leather paint I got from Tandy. The purple was just a regular acrylic paint I got from the craft store.

thank you for the reply. now that you mention it, i can see that purple was added, but i wouldnt have caught it until i try to make my own witches brew up, and not reach that tonality... so thanks for helping out there... take care... and, again the mask looks great!

eric

well done, i have never worked a mask in the heavier leather...that must have been hard

well done, i have never worked a mask in the heavier leather...that must have been hard

It was a bit stiff although the tentacles were thin so they were easy to mold. I could see that it would be difficult to include any major manipulations to the leather with a thicker hide like that. I'm not too pleased with how heavy it ended up being. It would be fine for just a small mask probably but with a big mask like that it got heavy. My next attempt will be a tooled mask, I've been wanting to try that for awhile. I'll probably use heavy leather for that too, but it will just be a small half mask.

Awun

Late to the party here, but all the masks I make are in 12oz leather. This is so that they can count as "helmets" in Dagorhir, a combat LARP we play. It's hard to get a lot of definition in them, on the other hand, you can carve and tool them a lot more than a mask in 2oz.