Duke

Finishing

ok, so I made a hoofpick holder and dyed it mahogany, but i used a pro dye, which is alcohol based. it really dried the leather out, so I used some lexol to restore the leather. is there some hind of a finish that I can put on it in order to give it a shine, without an acrylic look? I have some resolene that I got from my old work, but have never used. also have some Bee natural RTC sheridan resist and finish, some Rudys Tach and saddle conditioner and finish, and some neatlac. does anyone have some thoughts on this dilemma? BTW, sorry bout the pic looking sideways

post-5123-045389500 1283996748_thumb.jpg

.Duke,

If you are using an alcohol based dye, you might try adding some Neatsfoot oil prior to dying. The only pro dye I have used is Fieblings and it is oil based. I am a die hard user of Neatlac as a finish. I've tried a bunch of the others, and keep going back to Neatlac. Hard to beat.

Terry

Edited by terrymac

thanks terrymac, I like neatlac as well, but I am going for a softer, more natural feel to my leather items. just kind of testing and seeing what else is out there.more likely than not, I will go back to the neatlac, but I am going out on a limb and trying to broaden my horizons.

thanks terrymac, I like neatlac as well, but I am going for a softer, more natural feel to my leather items. just kind of testing and seeing what else is out there.more likely than not, I will go back to the neatlac, but I am going out on a limb and trying to broaden my horizons.

For what it's worth, I primarily make holsters and finish amost all of them with Feibing's Super Sheen. I use an airbrush and shoot a mist on the thing, allow it to dry (it dries pretty quickly) then mist on a second shot. Too much of any of the acrylic finish products and you end up with a 'plastic' look, which, to me, is nasty. Mike

ok, so I made a hoofpick holder and dyed it mahogany, but i used a pro dye, which is alcohol based. it really dried the leather out, so I used some lexol to restore the leather. is there some hind of a finish that I can put on it in order to give it a shine, without an acrylic look? I have some resolene that I got from my old work, but have never used. also have some Bee natural RTC sheridan resist and finish, some Rudys Tach and saddle conditioner and finish, and some neatlac. does anyone have some thoughts on this dilemma? BTW, sorry bout the pic looking sideways

Duke,

On some items, after the dye has set for at least several hours or over night, I give them a coat of prime neatsfoot oil and again let sit over night. I follow that up with a healthy dressing of Fiebings Tan Kote. It gives a softer shine and not plastic looking.

Terry

thanks! thats exactly what I want, a lustrious leather look, not plastic. I put some rudys Tack and saddle conditioner and finishfrom Bee Natural on it, and it seems to be doing the trick. its what I had on hand.but thanks you all for your insight.

Duke,

I'd stick to the NeatLac. If you don't want any gloss on the finish, apply the NeatLac with a piece of trimmed wool skin and rub it in. That will eliminate the glossiness and will provide a nice mellow finish.

Hope this helps...

Bobby

bobby, its not just the glossy look I dont want, i dont want the acrylic finish. something more soft, supple and natural is the effect im going for. thanks for the input tho. I have a can of neatlac, but havent used up the aresol spray can of it yet, so I havent tried wiping it on.I will do that on my next set of spur straps. thanks

bobby, its not just the glossy look I dont want, i dont want the acrylic finish. something more soft, supple and natural is the effect im going for. thanks for the input tho. I have a can of neatlac, but havent used up the aresol spray can of it yet, so I havent tried wiping it on.I will do that on my next set of spur straps. thanks

I'd suggest using neatsfoot oil over the dyed leather, let it the leather soak up as much (almost) neatsfoot oil as it will take, work the leather to confirm that it is softened it up a bit, then use a matte sealer to seal the leather. My (limited) experience is that an oiled, but unsealed leather will bleed on other items, if rubbed.

Mike LoGiudice

LoGiudice Custom Knives

How would you compare the Neatlac and the acrylic sealers? I too would like something more natural than the plastic look of the acrylic sealers. Though, I've read of some cutting the acrylic sealers 50/50 with water to cut down on the shine.

Try neutral Kiwi shoe wax, or Fiebings Leather balm with atom wax.

What do you use now instead of Neatlac?????????? or can you buy Neatlac somewhere? i can't find it anywhere

.Duke,

If you are using an alcohol based dye, you might try adding some Neatsfoot oil prior to dying. The only pro dye I have used is Fieblings and it is oil based. I am a die hard user of Neatlac as a finish. I've tried a bunch of the others, and keep going back to Neatlac. Hard to beat.

Terry

What do you use now instead of Neatlac?????????? or can you buy Neatlac somewhere? i can't find it anywhere

NeatLac is still available under the name of Wyo-Shene from Sheridan Outfitters and Clear Lac from Panhandle Leather in Amarillo. Both will ship. You might also check with Kevin at Springfield Leather.....he might be carrying Clear Lac also. Hope this helps....

Bobby

NeatLac is still available under the name of Wyo-Shene from Sheridan Outfitters and Clear Lac from Panhandle Leather in Amarillo. Both will ship. You might also check with Kevin at Springfield Leather.....he might be carrying Clear Lac also. Hope this helps....

Bobby

Kevin does carry the clear-lac at Springfield Leather.

Duke, . . . a couple years back, a lady on this forum told of an old fashioned "Finish" she has used for a number of years. Gives a soft finish, . . . gives a sheen, . . . real easy to apply, . . . and very cost effective.

Measure out equal parts BY WEIGHT of virgin bees wax and neatsfoot oil, . . . put in a jar (one you don't want to use for anything else again), . . . set it in a pan of boiling water, . . . wait for it to all melt together, . . . pour it into a little plastic tub and let it set up.

It'll be similar to shoe polish, . . . put it on either with your finger tips or a small rag, . . . rub it in, . . . buff. I also like to hit the first coat or two with my heat gun set on low and far enough away that I can literally watch it melt into the project.

I just finished a black, single holster, western rig, . . . most authentic looking one I ever did.

The finish is soft both to the touch and to the sight, . . . and if it gets scuffed or anything, . . . real easy to fix.

Again, . . . old fashioned, . . . but is a real nice looking finish.

May God bless,

Dwight