brandong

Pfaff 145 For Making Belts And Collars?

I am teaching myself how to tool leather and would like to get a machine to sew belts, collars, motorcycle seats, and maybe holsters and tack. I have a local upholsterer who is selling an entire shop with tools and some inventory for $2000. He has used a Pfaff 145 for years and it is in working condition and everything goes. He did mostly vinyl boat covers, seat and car upholstery. Will this do what I need? Or should I keep looking.

I am interested in doing some of this work to help pay for my equipment and get practice, but I would like to use this machine to do the other work also.

Any help is appreciated.

I just found this forum and it is a great resource.

thanks.

I am teaching myself how to tool leather and would like to get a machine to sew belts, collars, motorcycle seats, and maybe holsters and tack. I have a local upholsterer who is selling an entire shop with tools and some inventory for $2000. He has used a Pfaff 145 for years and it is in working condition and everything goes. He did mostly vinyl boat covers, seat and car upholstery. Will this do what I need? Or should I keep looking.

I am interested in doing some of this work to help pay for my equipment and get practice, but I would like to use this machine to do the other work also.

Any help is appreciated.

I just found this forum and it is a great resource.

thanks.

Pfaff 145 sewing machines are now approaching a half century old. You should try it out and see how much wobble there is in the needle bar.

They are small bobbin walking foot machines, suitable for use with up to #138 nylon or polyester thread. They are reported to be capable of sewing up to 20 ounces of light temper leather. They are really designed for upholstery work. The motor is most likely set up with a very large pulley, which will make it hard to control when sewing small projects. Expect to replace the pulley and belt with smaller ones. If you have never used an industrial sewing machine, you'll probably want to buy a servo motor to replace the clutch motor.

Do not sew dense veg-tan belts and holsters on a Pfaff 145, unless it is in like new condition (unlikely). You may be successful with the first few items, but it will probably begin to go out of time and cause you problems as you continue to abuse it.

I would keep on looking if I wanted to sew tack and holsters. Don't bother looking in upholstery shops. Their machines are not designed or setup for heavy leather and the thick thread required to do those jobs. They use flatbed machines exclusively, whereas holster, tack and saddlebag sewers use cylinder arm machines. We have dealers here who sell real leather sewing machines and accessories. Contact Bob Kovar (Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines - 866-362-7397), in the East, or "Cobra" Steve, of Cobra Sewing Machines, in the West (866-962-9880).

Edited by Wizcrafts

Pfaff 145 sewing machines are now approaching a half century old. You should try it out and see how much wobble there is in the needle bar.

They are small bobbin walking foot machines, suitable for use with up to #138 nylon or polyester thread. They are reported to be capable of sewing up to 20 ounces of light temper leather. They are really designed for upholstery work. The motor is most likely set up with a very large pulley, which will make it hard to control when sewing small projects. Expect to replace the pulley and belt with smaller ones. If you have never used an industrial sewing machine, you'll probably want to buy a servo motor to replace the clutch motor.

Do not sew dense veg-tan belts and holsters on a Pfaff 145, unless it is in like new condition (unlikely). You may be successful with the first few items, but it will probably begin to go out of time and cause you problems as you continue to abuse it.

I would keep on looking if I wanted to sew tack and holsters. Don't bother looking in upholstery shops. Their machines are not designed or setup for heavy leather and the thick thread required to do those jobs. They use flatbed machines exclusively, whereas holster, tack and saddlebag sewers use cylinder arm machines. We have dealers here who sell real leather sewing machines and accessories. Contact Bob Kovar (Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines - 866-362-7397), in the East, or "Cobra" Steve, of Cobra Sewing Machines, in the West (866-962-9880).

Thank you for the fast response. I got the idea the owner had used the machine a very long time, and though he took care of it, probably has some miles on it. I was looking at your sponsors and saw the tippman boss manuel machine. I am not looking to go fast, and another post said that leather work and speed don't mix. Would that machine be a good match for what I am looking for?

Thank you for the fast response. I got the idea the owner had used the machine a very long time, and though he took care of it, probably has some miles on it. I was looking at your sponsors and saw the tippman boss manuel machine. I am not looking to go fast, and another post said that leather work and speed don't mix. Would that machine be a good match for what I am looking for?

The Tippman Boss is okay for small projects, as it is hand operated. You will grow tired of it if you get into any kind of long strap production.

Furthermore, the throat depth is only about 6". There are going to be some leather projects that you cannot turn around in that amount of space.

Finally, a Tippman Boss sells for $1495.00. That amount of money can buy you a brand new Cowboy 2500 cylinder arm machine, with reverse, equipped with a gear reduction servo motor attached to a power stand. It can sew about 1/2" of belt or bridle leather, with # 346 thread. It has a very large cylindrical bobbin.

Or, for between $1800 to $2500, you can get a brand new, fully equipped, Cowboy, or Cobra compound feed walking foot harness stitcher, in arm lengths ranging from 9" to 16.5". These machines can plow through 3/4" of harness leather, with up to #415 bonded nylon thread. They can also sew as light a 1/8" thick chaps, with #138 thread. They have huge bobbins and long needles.

If you want to sew a wide variety of leather projects, including chaps, saddlebags, holsters and tack, you should get a compound feed walking or jumping foot machine.

I would recommend that you call the dealers I mentioned and tell them what you intend to sew and your projected budget. They will recommend a machine to fit those requirements, at the best price they can offer. Our dealers warranty their machines and stand behind every one, 100%. If you need assistance after a purchase, they are there to help you and make things right. If a part fails, they'll send a replacement, or repair it themselves. You can call them for technical advice on operational details that might have you stumped.

You will probably not find such a machine on eBay, or Craigslist, or at your local upholstery shop. Nor will you get the great follow-up service our dealers offer you. They don't just advertise here, they are also members and frequent this very forum.

The Tippman Boss is okay for small projects, as it is hand operated. You will grow tired of it if you get into any kind of long strap production.

Furthermore, the throat depth is only about 6". There are going to be some leather projects that you cannot turn around in that amount of space.

Finally, a Tippman Boss sells for $1495.00. That amount of money can buy you a brand new Cowboy 2500 cylinder arm machine, with reverse, equipped with a gear reduction servo motor attached to a power stand. It can sew about 1/2" of belt or bridle leather, with # 346 thread. It has a very large cylindrical bobbin.

Or, for between $1800 to $2500, you can get a brand new, fully equipped, Cowboy, or Cobra compound feed walking foot harness stitcher, in arm lengths ranging from 9" to 16.5". These machines can plow through 3/4" of harness leather, with up to #415 bonded nylon thread. They can also sew as light a 1/8" thick chaps, with #138 thread. They have huge bobbins and long needles.

If you want to sew a wide variety of leather projects, including chaps, saddlebags, holsters and tack, you should get a compound feed walking or jumping foot machine.

I would recommend that you call the dealers I mentioned and tell them what you intend to sew and your projected budget. They will recommend a machine to fit those requirements, at the best price they can offer. Our dealers warranty their machines and stand behind every one, 100%. If you need assistance after a purchase, they are there to help you and make things right. If a part fails, they'll send a replacement, or repair it themselves. You can call them for technical advice on operational details that might have you stumped.

You will probably not find such a machine on eBay, or Craigslist, or at your local upholstery shop. Nor will you get the great follow-up service our dealers offer you. They don't just advertise here, they are also members and frequent this very forum.

I will look into the machines you mentioned. Seams like for my interests, I will end up with at least 2 more machines. I tend to like dealing with the heavy veg-leather and have several upholstery projects waiting, with more to come. I will make a list of leather work I am interested in and talk to the venders you suggested. Thank you for your help.

bg

This man knows his machines. Wiz lined me up with Toledo Sewing Inc and I got a nice Cowboy. It handles thick leather just fine. Leaves a slight mark on the back but nothing unacceptable this side of show work. In fact I just got mine today and am happy as heck.