ghostrider812

Trying To Choose An Airbrush

I am trying to break into airbrushing leather so I looking for some wisdom. I would like to get a complete set-up but I am unsure which to go with. Also looking for some guidance on paint/stains to use. I'm totally clueless but I am a fairly quick study. I would like to use this on tank bibs as well as saddle bags so exposure would be an issue as well. When researching the companies who sell airbrushes they do not list leather as a medium. Can anyone send me in the right direction?

I am trying to break into airbrushing leather so I looking for some wisdom. I would like to get a complete set-up but I am unsure which to go with. Also looking for some guidance on paint/stains to use. I'm totally clueless but I am a fairly quick study. I would like to use this on tank bibs as well as saddle bags so exposure would be an issue as well. When researching the companies who sell airbrushes they do not list leather as a medium. Can anyone send me in the right direction?

Yes, leather is a medium!

Any liquid the consistency of milk or thinner can be sprayed through an airbrush. You can spray Fiebings dyes through an airbrush, as well as eco flo dyes. I would stay away from the Eco-Flo dyes for anything that is used out in the elements.

You can buy inexpensive airbrush/hose/compressor/regulator sets through harbor freight (to name just one source) You might also want to try a Prevail Sprayer (Google is your friend), and see if it's something you'd use. For larger items such as saddle bags, I'd use an HVLP (high volume, low pressure) gun. These cover larger areas evenly, and quickly, and can also be used for shading edges.

Just make sure you have the proper solvent/cleaner for the type of liquid you are spraying. Keeping the sprayers clean is as important as knowing how to use them.

There have been a few threads on this topic here on L.W. You might try doing a search to learn more.

Hope this helps a bit.

Almost forgot: Make sure and get at least one good moisture trap to use with any kind of sprayer that runs off of a compressor.... (don't ask me how I know this).

Edited by Hilly

Google Airbrush City Inc. I personally have never dealt with them, but when they sold on ebay they had over 14000 transactions with a very high positive record. Prices are good and there is quite a bit of info on their site. Hope this helps.

Yes, leather is a medium!

Any liquid the consistency of milk or thinner can be sprayed through an airbrush. You can spray Fiebings dyes through an airbrush, as well as eco flo dyes. I would stay away from the Eco-Flo dyes for anything that is used out in the elements.

You can buy inexpensive airbrush/hose/compressor/regulator sets through harbor freight (to name just one source) You might also want to try a Prevail Sprayer (Google is your friend), and see if it's something you'd use. For larger items such as saddle bags, I'd use an HVLP (high volume, low pressure) gun. These cover larger areas evenly, and quickly, and can also be used for shading edges.

Just make sure you have the proper solvent/cleaner for the type of liquid you are spraying. Keeping the sprayers clean is as important as knowing how to use them.

There have been a few threads on this topic here on L.W. You might try doing a search to learn more.

Hope this helps a bit.

Almost forgot: Make sure and get at least one good moisture trap to use with any kind of sprayer that runs off of a compressor.... (don't ask me how I know this).

Thank you for the replies. This has helped me alot.

As Hilly has said there are several threads on this same question. Ill add my thoughts as well.

The harbor freight setup is very cheap, you get the brush and accessories as well as the air compressor. It is not the highest quality but will work for over all coloring and shading some. Now that being said if you plan on doing a bunch of detail work and if you know you are going to be doing this for a while with lots of work then IMHO I would go with a little bit nicer of a setup. It will cost more initially but in the end it will last just about forever if you keep it clean. May have to replace orings and the needle and such. There are many good brands, badger, paasche, iwata are just a few that ring a bell.

Don't scrimp on an airbrush, get the best that you can afford. Iwata, and Paasche usually get the highest marks. I would get a double action non-gravity fed unit. The ones that use a bottle to hold the paint/etc have more capacity, and can be moved in more angles than the gravity fed fixed cup designs.

There are several airbrushing websites out there with tons of information. That is all well and good, but everyone has a different style of working. Once you get some basic information on the different units available I would search out some outlets where you can talk to someone directly. Some art stores offer classes, or can put you in touch with airbrush artists who can help you decide what will work best for you. You can save a lot of headaches by actually trying units out before buying.

I picked up a modified Badger 150 about 10 years ago for next to nothing ($15 because someone didn't know what they had - It is actually a parts brush part Paasche and part Badger). Still a great brush. I have used a couple of different Iwatas, Paasche's and T&C's and they are all good brushes. Some models have a little finer control, some can tolerate heavier paints and so forth. I would suggest looking at the different types and see what best meets your needs. I would also suggest getting the best that you can afford.

I would certainly choose a double action but you might want to read the various sites. Many have listed some of the better known airbrushes but you will find more on the airbrush sales sites . I have included some specific to choosing airbrushes since that's what you asked for. A small walkthrough of the major brushes and how to choose between the various ones whether single, double, siphon, gravity, internal versus external, etc. would be a good place to start your understanding from. The two below have some decent information.

Choosing Airbrush

Don Johnson Choosing Airbrush

About mid page there is a recommended supplies list for the various illustration types.

Airhead Recommendations

Some lessons that may help...

How to Lessons

They already gave you some of the forum and tips/tricks sites previously.

Here's some of the more well known airbrush sales sites. They also help you with compressors, traps, templates, paints, etc...

Dixie Art

Bear Air

Airbrush Depot

Regards,

Ben

P.S. There are several other threads that have more information than this so you might look for those as well.