Sign in to follow this  
marine mp

1911 Holster-Ideas

Hello to all,

Being new to this forum, I've learned more than my little pea-brain can hold!!! I've got an idea to build a OWB cowboy-style shorty, high rider holster that is smooth on the back and shaped-formed on the front, with integral belt loops. Having carried concealed for many years I find that the formed backside of a pancake holster is a real detriment to comfort. I thot a smooth back would be the ticket. I cannot abide having a full-size 1911A1 down my pants IWB, or for that matter, any weapon. Therefore this would be OWB. If there has already been one made, please let me know. Also, has anyone ever tried putting a piece of fleece on the back of a holster for comfort??? I know a weapon is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable. I believe it can be both, just gotta find it or make it!!!!!! Thanks... Semper-fi MIke

Making a flat backed pancake is, . . . a piece of cake. To make it ride high, take the integral belt slots straight down in the design.

A fleece backed holster would allow the weapon to flop back and forth far too much for my liking, and I would not make one for a customer.

If it has to be more comfortable than my IWB or OWB, . . . then someone else will carry it for them.

May God bless,

Dwight

Making a flat backed pancake is, . . . a piece of cake. To make it ride high, take the integral belt slots straight down in the design.

A fleece backed holster would allow the weapon to flop back and forth far too much for my liking, and I would not make one for a customer.

If it has to be more comfortable than my IWB or OWB, . . . then someone else will carry it for them.

May God bless,

Dwight

I agree, Dwight. Even if the gun did not flop around, I would think that the fleece would cause the gun/holster to bulge out and defeat the purpose of concealment. Just my 2 cents.

Jeremiah

Hello to all,

Being new to this forum, I've learned more than my little pea-brain can hold!!! I've got an idea to build a OWB cowboy-style shorty, high rider holster that is smooth on the back and shaped-formed on the front, with integral belt loops. Having carried concealed for many years I find that the formed backside of a pancake holster is a real detriment to comfort. I thot a smooth back would be the ticket. I cannot abide having a full-size 1911A1 down my pants IWB, or for that matter, any weapon. Therefore this would be OWB. If there has already been one made, please let me know. Also, has anyone ever tried putting a piece of fleece on the back of a holster for comfort??? I know a weapon is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable. I believe it can be both, just gotta find it or make it!!!!!! Thanks... Semper-fi MIke

Sounds to me that a Galco - Jac Slide style belt slide holster would do the trick for you.

[link]http://www.copsplus....rge/gal-jak.jpg[/link]

gaaa, I hate IExplorer....

post-15329-093467300 1284377078_thumb.jp

post-15329-040444100 1284377163_thumb.jp

Edited by Reaper

Every holster design requires compromises among the four factors of comfort, accessibility, security, and concealability. Only the user can decide how much of each factor should be compromised in order to enhance other factors (of course, an experienced holster maker will know when what the customer requests is so much of a compromise that the result will be unusable or unsafe, and will decline the job).

What you have described as "a OWB cowboy-style shorty, high rider holster that is smooth on the back and shaped-formed on the front, with integral belt loops" brings to mind the classic Tom Threepersons' style which has been around for about 90 years and served as the basis for dozens of holster models from nearly every maker in the country. Envelope-style construction, integral belt loop, generally smooth outer contours.

Whereas the IWB designs generally maximize concealability, but typically with compromises to comfort and accessibility, the vintage OWB designs emphasize comfort and accessibility, but frequently with compromises in security and concealability. Security can be improved with retention devices such as straps or thumb-breaks.

Attached are a few photos showing the Threepersons' style adapted for a 1911 pistol and my old standard Model 5 belt holster with thumb-break. Either design might be adapted to your needs.

I would not recommend shearling or other padding on the back side. As has already been noted, that would have negative effects on the stability of the holster on the belt. It would also be likely to absorb perspiration to a point that the holster might become saturated with salty water, not good for handgun finishes.

Best regards.

post-7487-037083300 1284383770_thumb.jpg

post-7487-057015500 1284383828_thumb.jpg

post-7487-092497800 1284383871_thumb.jpg

Hello to all,

Moleskin is often used on the backs of IWB holsters for comfort. It does wear out and peel off but you can replace it as necessary.

Thanks to all for their replys. All make sense and will give me some food for thought. Again, Thanks. Semper-fi Mike

Every holster design requires compromises among the four factors of comfort, accessibility, security, and concealability. Only the user can decide how much of each factor should be compromised in order to enhance other factors (of course, an experienced holster maker will know when what the customer requests is so much of a compromise that the result will be unusable or unsafe, and will decline the job).

What you have described as "a OWB cowboy-style shorty, high rider holster that is smooth on the back and shaped-formed on the front, with integral belt loops" brings to mind the classic Tom Threepersons' style which has been around for about 90 years and served as the basis for dozens of holster models from nearly every maker in the country. Envelope-style construction, integral belt loop, generally smooth outer contours.

Whereas the IWB designs generally maximize concealability, but typically with compromises to comfort and accessibility, the vintage OWB designs emphasize comfort and accessibility, but frequently with compromises in security and concealability. Security can be improved with retention devices such as straps or thumb-breaks.

Attached are a few photos showing the Threepersons' style adapted for a 1911 pistol and my old standard Model 5 belt holster with thumb-break. Either design might be adapted to your needs.

I would not recommend shearling or other padding on the back side. As has already been noted, that would have negative effects on the stability of the holster on the belt. It would also be likely to absorb perspiration to a point that the holster might become saturated with salty water, not good for handgun finishes.

Best regards.

+1 Lobo Mike

Edited by katsass

I cannot abide having a full-size 1911A1 down my pants IWB, or for that matter, any weapon.

I have no idea if you've tried any of these ideas, but just in case you haven't, here goes:

1. Wear pants one waist size (2 inches) bigger for use when carrying IWB, and adjust your belt accordingly.

2. Use an IWB holster with a body shield to keep the pointy, edgy stuff at the rear end of the slide from digging painfully into your torso.

3. Wear the holster in a natural hollow around your waistline. A lot of folks have success with about a 4 o'clock or 5 o'clock position.

I, too, prefer OWB carry for comfort, but I also prefer carrying a full-size pistol in a caliber that begins with "4". If I can't get away with the fashion crimes necessary to accomodate concealed OWB carry, I'll resort to IWB.

(I have a whole HELLUVA lot more experience in wearing holsters than I do in making them)