emsnut

Remold Leather Holster

Okay quick question.

I have a Kimber Pro BP 10 II. It is a 4" model. I am looking for a holster for it. I found a holster that fits the Kimber Pro carry 4". The difference between the BP and Pro carry is the BP is a double stack and the grip frame is wider then the single stack frames. Can I rewet the holster and remold it to fit the very slightly larger double stack frame.

Thanks

Michael

If you're talking about changing a commercial holster, you may have some trouble getting it to absorb water. Would stripping the coating ruin the holster? Maybe. It's probably not much of a stretch to accommodate the larger frame, but I would feel a little uneasy about trying that.

Since you've got the basic holster you like, a simpler move might be to make a new one.

Okay quick question.

I have a Kimber Pro BP 10 II. It is a 4" model. I am looking for a holster for it. I found a holster that fits the Kimber Pro carry 4". The difference between the BP and Pro carry is the BP is a double stack and the grip frame is wider then the single stack frames. Can I rewet the holster and remold it to fit the very slightly larger double stack frame.

Thanks

Michael

You might try stuffing a warm, wet washcloth down inside the holster for a while......when the interior is damp enough, try to remold. I've had some fairly good results wirth this on some comercial law enforcement holsters Don't get the leather so wet that it bleeds through to the finished side..........just warm and damp. Mike

Okay quick question.

Thanks

Michael

I wouldn't.

Instead just final fit the holster if it's too tight to draw. You have two options. If the fit is close enough to the draw you want, place the gun in the holster for a few hours. If the fit is still really tight to draw, wrap it in saran/wax paper/plastic baggie and place the gun in the holster.

Obviously use common sense on which is thicker and how much room you need to gain in the holster for the right draw. I would start small with the saran wrap. I like wax paper as a fitting medium because it slicks the leather really nice inside.

Do not get the holster wet. There is no need.

I have had good luck using isopropyl alcohol. Just wet the inside of the holster, and put the gun in. You may want to move the gun around a little, to get the fit you want. With the alcohol, the gun won't rust, and I have yet to see a leather holster that wouldn't absorb the alcohol. As was mentioned, above, don't soak the holster so much that the outside is wet. I am somewhat familiar with the guns you are talking about, and there is not a lot of difference in the frames, if I am remembering correctly, so it should work fine.

Thanks so much everyone. I tried the alcohol and wax paper. The problem was the grip frame was thicker then normal 1911's due to being a double stack and the holster was preformed to a 1911. I rubbed down the inside and then wrapped the gun in wax papers. OH MY. This was perfect. Perfect draw and feel. Thanks all.