Maus

Mulitiple Piece Masks...

this is my first post, so please forgive me if its a little short as I am unsure where to start and don't terribly care to have my foot levitate from the floor and shove its way into my mouth....

I am pretty new to the mask making area, and fairly new to the leather crafting wold in general, but I don't seem to let that stop me from getting ambitious ideas. I really would love to learn how to make multiple piece masks- does one use glues? If so what is the strongest ones, as I like to build my stuff to be actorproof/ to withstand me... which is about the equivalent of a atomic bomb. If one sews it how do you hide the stitches??? If there are any betterways I would love to know.

I have an idea to make a griffin mask/headress but I'd like to beable to use more than one piece to create the feathering around the eyes, and a more intense and protruding falcon sort of beak. So any help would be gratefully appreciated!!

The quick answer to your question is all of the above. Some projects are glued, some are sewn, some use both methods. A lot will depend on the leather that you are using, and the final shape.

There are several glues out there, each has it's advantages, and disadvantages. You may try a search of the forums for --- glue. Rubber cement, contact cement, Barge cement, it goes on and on.

Stitches can be hidden by doing a welt then flipping the item inside out, or stitching under a slit that is then folded back over the thread. There are a few way to do it, these are just a couple.

Do these masks get painted in any way? If so threads could be molded in,and painted over.

Hi Maus, here is a pic of a multi layered mask i made quite a while ago....i used contact glue..........the bigger front layers hide the glueing for the smaller pieces

post-4514-084237900 1284931858_thumb.jpg

Nice Man of the Woods Leatheroo.

Can you explain where these masks are used, or are they just decoration? I could see maybe Halloween, but outside of that not really sure.

Mostly for fancy dress parties...... this one just hangs on my wall

cheers

that is a very nice mask leatheroo! thank you for some of the advice, I tried some contact cement and have not had very good results with its strength. But maybe I haven't ruffed the leather up enough first.

I'm currently using 4/5 oz leather, primarily single shoulders as that is what is in my price range. But you've got me a little confused on the stitching, I can see some of the finer leathers being easily sewn and flipped inside out but with a stiffer leather you're planning on wet molding I don't see how that quite works. Most of the time I paint my masks, but I really would like to do one where I do a very light dye so to leave it as natural colour as possible-that way the bruising in the leather from some of the tooling will show through.

Sorry for the long response time, my husband and I just got orders to move to Italy so I've been runnin' around like a chicken with my head cut off.

The glue i use is called Kiwi grip....i find it SUPER strong, maybe what you call contact cement is a different product where you live. This stuff is spread on both layers and then when it is nearly dry, both pieces are pressed together.

Cant help with the stitching.... i have never stitched a mask

good luck